Wood Brew Stand Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I am getting close to finishing my single vessel BIAB. I bought some nice plywood for my stand top, but I want to be able to seal it to prevent any spills or liquid from damaging it.
Is there any sort of heat resistant clear coat I could spray over it?
Thanks
20181004_114713.jpg

Rubbing it down with boiled linseed oil may be your best bet (think butcher block) although a polyurethane finish might stand the heat. A trip to your local paint store (ie. sherwin williams, not hd or Lowe’s ) may open some other possibilities too.

Electric brewing? I used polyurethane stain on mine and have had ZERO issues. Keep in mind that you'll never see a temperature above 212*F (hooray physics!) unless you dry fire your element. Easy to clean up too.

33623555_1801039926619932_6524099182830026752_n.jpg

How did you attach the top to the stand?
I made the stand such that the legs ran from the floor directly to the underside of the wooden top. Extrusion is made such that you can tap screw threads into the ends. I just drilled 4 holes in the wood, countersunk them, and used 5/16"-18 stainless flat-head screws to connect them into the tapped legs.

the height of each stand will vary depending on the heights of your individual kettles ,tun and stations. My brew stand is gravity and on caster wheels. Start with the floor and the height of your carboy/fermenter. raise the bottom of the previous level 2 inches above the top of that to allow room for lids or plumbing fixtures. Boil kettle then Mash tun levels , same way above the next station and up the line until you reach your strike water kettles heat element. So, my brew stand has 3 levels , my carboy sits on the floor and I move it with a 2 wheeled dolly cart to its fermenting place.
If you go with a pumped system ,you can surely make your brew rig one level .

The 80/20 legs are 26". After adding leveling feet and the wood top, the kettle sits about 28" off the floor.

Thanks. I am still planning my brewery set up. , reason I asked about your height. I plan on doing an epoxy on mine. I had recently redid my countertops in my old house ( just sold it) and I have about 32 oz left, which I should be able to do a decretive coat as well as a clear coat. This is the company I bought my epoxy from https://www.stonecoatcountertops.com/ .

Latest posts

Back