woe is me. hold my hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
GRRR... I know I'm being high maintenance but I already screwed this beer up once.

In June I tried to brew this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lagunitas-pliny-studied-dipa-feedback-please-481481/

But then ended up with this SCORCH issue:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/identifying-cause-my-first-scorch-482924/

I've finally gotten back around to brewing something similar to the above DIPA. Different hops because of what I have around, and the efficiency is higher too. I went to a different store to get my grains. These guys have a better setup and were more than happy to run everything through a second time. I'm BIAB and have not been able to try out the finer grind. So this wort came out at 1.082 or so.

DRAMA THIS TIME:
I had a friend over brewing and during the last phase of the evening he took our conversation in a serious direction. I got distracted yada yada yada...and started making a few mistakes...yada yada yada.

Point is that I'm pretty sure the pitch was around 80 degrees or so. The ferment then ripped through really quickly for a beer this big. All airlock activity was done in about 15 hours. I pitched directly on a yeast cake.

Two days later I took a hydro and it's at about 1.021. It's at my cellar temp now of 65.

I'm wondering if it will indeed continue to ferment out much more, if I should bother ramping up the temp some.

I know I may have some off flavors and what not. I'm hoping this thing will somehow be drinkable.

Gosh. Drama. Thanks for your help.

S-04 at 80 degrees will probably have off flavors. Your temp in the fermenter could have been even higher as fermentation was going. Time will tell but I'd be patient with this one. Maybe even let it age for a month or two before dry hopping. If you have some off flavors they may dissipate over time but fusels will prob be the issue. This might be a good one to bottle (if you keg as well) and let age. I'd secondary after a month unless you want to do it now. But taste in a couple weeks and see. If bulk aging id rack to secondary within a month and then let it sit.

On deck: Imperial Stout, Vienna Lager
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Mojave Red, Irish Stout, Tramp Stamp Clone, Helles, Oktoberfest, Roggenbier
On tap: Naked American Wheat, Turbo IIPA
Bottled: Dwarven Gold Ale, La Fin Du Mond clone, Hefeweizen

I say leave it for a week or two. The high pitch temp and presumably warm ferment have done all the damage they're gonna do.... probably within those first 15 hours. Since it's a DIPA, the hops will hide most of any off flavors.

Give the yeast a chance to clean up after itself as much as possible. 65F is a perfectly reasonable temp. No need to up it.

Was it an extract batch? I've heard there's a 1.020 wall with extract... Fermentation oftens ends around there for some reason.

Just taste it. If it taste like rocket fuel.... better luck next time. That won't go away, I know, my AC kicked the bucket when I went away during fermentation of a 1.075 ale. It tasted like a bad chem experiment then and 6 months later in the bottle. Nobody died and you may cry but it is a lesson learned.

The lesson right now: I need to brew alone! Friends can drink with me later.

This was AG not extract.

I was planning on letting it sit for a month anyway. I'm just acting like a newbie here.

Thanks for your input. I hope it will lose a few more digits and get closer to 1.012. Fingers crossed.

I tasted the sample. Not sure I've I've ever taken a reading so early, so I don't know how off/on the taste was. It is still super chalky. It hasn't clarified. Pretty sweet of course. But it didn't taste like rocket fuel.

Is there ever any reason to pitch some more yeast? Its been over a week and the beer is still very hazy. I'm wondering if some fermentables are still in there. Perhaps the high temps beat IP the previous yeast and some new could finish the job.

No. If you pitched on a yeast cake, the beer was already overpitched probably so adding more yeast won't help at this point.

It sounds counterintuitive, but my understanding is that overpitched beers can also suffer from underattenuation issues due to the lack of reproduction by the yeast.

If you started at 1.082 and are now at 1.021, that could be from a high mash temperature, the overpitching, underoxygenation, etc- all not really fixable at this point.

I'd wait and see if it'll go a little lower, maybe increasing the temperature a tad but you're already at 74% attenuation and over 8% ABV so that seems about where you'll end.

Back