WNC Brewer / Highland Cold Mountain Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kradford12

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I've been brewing now for about 2 years although this is my first post on hbt. Grown up in Asheville but recently moved down the mountain to Greenville. Looking to meet other homebrews, learn a little and drink some great beer.

I wanted to share a recipe for a WNC seasonal beer that has taken Asheville by storm for the last few years. Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale. This is my wife's favorite beer and in all my searches online I have yet to find any sort of recipe. For those of you unfamiliar,Cold Mountain is a brown winter ale with a few spices. My understanding is the the base recipe remains the same each year but the spice blend changes. A buddy passed this along to me about a week ago. I just brewed it on Sunday and have it in primary now.

Highland Cold Mountain Clone

10lb Pale 2 row
4.8oz Special B
4.8oz Munich 20L
4.8oz Crystal 20L
1.6 oz Chocolate Malt

1 oz Perle (50 min boil)
1 oz Tettnang (end of boil)
2 Cinnamon sticks (crush last 10 mins of boil)
Hazelnut Flavoring (add at bottling)
White Labs California yeast

I don't not have a ton of experience with AG recipes so for those of you with more experience in this, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kory

I'm not a fan of Cold Mountain ale myself, but I have several friends who horde that stuff when it is released.
Might try this recipe for some Christmas presents to them.
Thanks

I'm actually sitting at Highland right enjoying a glass of the cold Mtn. It's pretty tasty, reminds me of rogue hazelnut

I have been search for quite some time for a cold mountain recipe and you're the first one I have found. What were your OG AND FG for this? Also, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've got my hands on a couple pints of Cold Mountain this year, but not enough to quench my seasonal thirst for the stuff.

I'm not sure if this is a similar recipe or not, but the guys at Asheville Brewers Supply have a clone recipe on file in the store. If anyone had questions I'm sure they could give some advise on this one. I'll take a look next time I'm in the store and note on any differences.

Haven't brewed it yet, but it's on the list.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've got my hands on a couple pints of Cold Mountain this year, but not enough to quench my seasonal thirst for the stuff.

I'm not sure if this is a similar recipe or not, but the guys at Asheville Brewers Supply have a clone recipe on file in the store. If anyone had questions I'm sure they could give some advise on this one. I'll take a look next time I'm in the store and note on any differences.

Haven't brewed it yet, but it's on the list.

Will they let you copy the recipe? If so, I will be in Asheville over New Years. I may have to swing by.

I imagine so. Of course it can't hurt to make a purchase while your there. They are great guys and very helpful.

All of their recipe kits are kept in a big binder at the front counter and customers are welcome to flip through it. I believe that most are listed as partial mash recipes (extract with steeping grains), but you should be able to convert that to AG easily if desired.

FYI - I have no affiliation with the store other than being a customer.

Somewhat of a derail, but I can't find a good clone recipe of their Gaelic Ale. I bought a magazine with a bunch of clone recipes in it and not sure the one in there is accurate. I'm a huge Highland fan so any insight on this one would be appreciated.

I imagine so. Of course it can't hurt to make a purchase while your there. They are great guys and very helpful.

All of their recipe kits are kept in a big binder at the front counter and customers are welcome to flip through it. I believe that most are listed as partial mash recipes (extract with steeping grains), but you should be able to convert that to AG easily if desired.

FYI - I have no affiliation with the store other than being a customer.

I emailed the guy earlier and he just sent me a PDF of the recipe! I plan on making a stop in there anyways while I'm in town. Thanks for the suggestion. :mug:

I emailed the guy earlier and he just sent me a PDF of the recipe! I plan on making a stop in there anyways while I'm in town. Thanks for the suggestion. :mug:

I just emailed requesting this recipe, with no luck.. Any other avenue to obtain this pdf??

Thanks,
Dave

Being a former Asheville resident I attempted to make several Highland clones. I have been on the Highland tour several times (they started calling me by name) before I moved. If I remember the head brewer correctly they change Cold Mountain just a little bit every year. I would imagine the base is the same but the flavorings change.

I don't have all the exact numbers since I lost all of my files on Brewsmith but here is what I have.

They were both brewed in 5 gallon kettle with a little over 4 gallon boils. If you have any other questions let me know.

I attempted 2 Gaelic Ales which were both extract:
1st Attempt:

Specialty Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal (40L)
1 lb Munich (10 L)

Extract
6 lb Amber LME
1 lb Amber DME

Hops
1 oz Zues 60 Min
1 oz Williamette 30 Min
1 oz Centennia at Flame out

Yeast
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

This one turned out okay but due to being a newb and inexperience I bottled way to early.

2nd Attempt
Specialty Grain
.5 lb Munich
.30 Caramel/Crystal 40 L
.20 Special B

Extract
6 lb Gold LME
1 lb Amber DME

Hops
.25 oz Chinook 50 min
.25 oz Chinook 30 min
.25 oz Chinook 20 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min

Yeast
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

This one turned out much better but they do use Williamette in original Gaelic. If you go to Asheville Brewing or Hops and Vines their employees are knowledgeable and will be able to help you out.

Took the tour earlier this month and saw a bunch of jugs of flavorings from Parker flavors. Checked out their website and have a minimum order of 4 gallons. Anyone want to split an order of their hazelnut flavoring?

Update on original cold mtn clone recipe. I spoke with friend that gave me the recipe and I believe he did indeed get it from Asheville Brew Supply although their recipe is the extract version.

Just bottled mine yesterday. I ordered hazelnut flavoring from Austin Homebrew and pretty certain that it's not gonna be quite right. I'll give it a month or so to mellow and see how it taste. I'm out of town for Christmas but will post the OG and FG when I return home.

I would consider gong in on the flavoring. Let me know more details.

Its been a few years since I've had it but i distinctly remember cinnamon and vanilla as well as hazelnut.

kradford12 said:

I was trying to be funny. We would need, what a tablespoon or so for a 5 gallon batch? We may need a few more participants to get up to 4 gallons of flavoring. : )

Can you provide your recipe? How was it? Really want to brew this year and not have to pay the premium!!

Update on original cold mtn clone recipe. I spoke with friend that gave me the recipe and I believe he did indeed get it from Asheville Brew Supply although their recipe is the extract version.

Just bottled mine yesterday. I ordered hazelnut flavoring from Austin Homebrew and pretty certain that it's not gonna be quite right. I'll give it a month or so to mellow and see how it taste. I'm out of town for Christmas but will post the OG and FG when I return home.

Back