Wlp820 & wlp830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
So I plan on brewing a marzen this weekend. I want to use lager yeast but the ferm chamber is currently outta commission. My ambient temp in my basement is ~64F. Using my old swamp cooler (20 gallon Rubbermaid container) I think I can get it down to 60F.

Is that low enough to use WLP820 or WLP830. White labs website says 52-58F but I've heard of people going much lower with better results. I have never used this yeast before and would like to hear from anyone who has.

Thanks.

With all due respect, I definitely wouldn't attempt to brew a lager at those ambient temps and/or without temperature control. Remember the temperature of the brew during the most vigorous part of fermentation can be several degrees higher than ambient.

YMMV but I'd expect that you're setting yourself up for a butter bomb (diacetyl).

+1. It might be ok, but I wouldn't ferment a lager without electronic temp control.

I made my Octoberfest using wyeast 1338.. It's an ale yeast but it leaves a great clean malt profile...

I know it's not to style but at those temps it'll be had to get the flavor with a lager yeast

I just brewed a Kolsch with 029 and at the high point of fermentation it was around 66*F with the ambient temp at about 61*F. I wanted to keep it cooler, but it took off before I could get the controls in place. It came out very well. The most lager-like of any beer I've made. I would recommend 029 at your temps and use a swamp cooler since ferm temp will be a couple to a few degrees above ambient temp during height of fermentation. Good luck!

Back