WLP820 - Should I avoid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senfo

Reaction score
I'm planning a 1.056 OG Munich lager in the coming weeks and I'm trying to decide on which yeast to use. The WLP820 (Oktoberfest/Märzen lager yeast) sounds like a good choice for the style, but I've read a few posts on various forums with people that have had bad luck the strain.

Based on their complaints, I'm speculating they didn't follow White Labs suggestion, which recommends using a larger-than-normal starter. I'm expecting it to ferment slowly (also based on the information from the White Labs website), but this doesn't bother me as long as I'm careful with sanitation, which I always am.

Am I putting too much trust in White Labs marketing? What kind of results can I expect if I follow their suggestions and wait patiently?

I want to point out, I'm very new to lager yeast and lagering (this will be my second lager) and I haven't yet gotten the schedule planned out entirely. My thoughts are to ferment a 1.5L starter at room temperature about a week to 1.5 weeks beforehand, let it ferment for a couple of days, then store it at 38 degrees for 24 hours to let the yeast settle out. Afterwards, I'll decant the minibeer and do another 1.5L starter; again fermenting at room temperature. I'd do a single, larger starter, but I only have a 2 liter flask and my stir plate doesn't do well with a starter much larger than this.

On brew day, I plan on decanting the second minibeer, allowing the yeast to raise to about 47 degrees while simultaneously cooling the wort to the same temperature before pitching. I'll then raise the temperature on my freezer to about 52 degrees and let it come up on its own where I will let it ferment until the krausen settles and I perform a diacetyl rest at about 60-65 for 24-48 hours before lagering for about 3-4 weeks.

Does this sound reasonable? Again, I'm very new to lagering, so please feel free to critique or criticize the entire process if you think I'm off to a bad start.

Lagering requires patience and is a real art form. I'm willing to bet that the negative comments on the strain are based on underpitching, a poor lagering method, lack of nutrients/oxygen in the wort and a strong desire to rush the lagering process. I tend to err on the side of overpitching my yeast depending on the strain. Lagers fall into this category as the yeast is spending so much time cold fermenting in comparison to ale yeasts. But, the long cold fermentation is what produces such a beautiful, smooth, crisp beer, isn't it?

Finally got around to brewing the batch with WLP820. As recommended, I used a larger-than-normal starter and it still took a few days to show active signs of fermentation, but it seems to be chugging away now (slowly, but steadily).

I know this is an old thread, but I made a 4L starter because the vial I had was 3 months old. Chilled, decanted put back in fridge for a cuple of days until brew day. Once I pitched it took about 18-24 hours before I saw active fermentation.
This was just last Saturday, but I just wanted to throw it out there that this yeast can have a shorter lag time.

Back