WLP800 starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugglug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a starter last night, and was hoping to see significant activity this morning when I woke up. Was planning to add more wort to the starter this am. First time using this yeast. My plan now is to stop by lhbs this morning and pick up more yeast. Just looking for confirmation that picking up new yeast is the right approach now. I've had the yeast packet in the refrigerator, and have missed several opportunities to brew with it. I am now about 6 weeks past "Best by" date.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486220118.570470.jpg

Let it ride and/or step it up soon. Then you should know if it is or isn't.

I have been amazed by some that I considered dead but waited 8-12 hours and found a very active krausen!

Yeah. This one didn't look like it had much activity. Stepped it up. Was going to make the call whether to get more yeast later in day before lhbs closed. By late afternoon saw lots of bubbles, but not kraussen on top. Then I stepped it up again. Biggest starter I've ever made, but by pitching time, lots of happy yeast.

Back