WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled a tripel, and was not impressed with the sample I took. Maybe will improve with carbonation.

Also not as attenuative as I had expected. Only took a 1.060 down to 1.006. Mashed low and lots of sugar. A similar beer a few weeks earlier with another yeasr (not 3711), went down to 1.002.

I'm not complaining, I just expected it to go lower from everything I had heard.

If beer improves in the bottle, I'll amend this post.

I'm struggling what to use this yeast for. Maybe it is because I have several good Belgian style yeasts going, and I wasn't impressed with my first brew at a tripel with it. Drinking it now and maybe it is coming around - still very young.

Wondering how it would do in a clone of Arrogant Bastard. I know it will not be the same beer and will be fruitier, but would welcome any input as to whether this would be a disaster, or could potentially produce a decent beer.

90% pale Malt
10% CaraAroma
Chinook hops

I've asked this samequestion in the 'Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard' thread too.

I'm struggling what to use this yeast for. Maybe it is because I have several good Belgian style yeasts going, and I wasn't impressed with my first brew at a tripel with it. Drinking it now and maybe it is coming around - still very young.

Wondering how it would do in a clone of Arrogant Bastard. I know it will not be the same beer and will be fruitier, but would welcome any input as to whether this would be a disaster, or could potentially produce a decent beer.

90% pale Malt
10% CaraAroma
Chinook hops

I've asked this samequestion in the 'Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard' thread too.

I use it for IPAs that I want fruit flavor in. Honestly, I can't think of doing much more with it. Maybe you could primary with it and then add actual brett for bottle conditioning.

How good is this yeast at chewing dextrines? Mashed my IPA a bit high (~153F). Fermenting with wy1056 and wy1272. Estimate they will finish around 1.016. Considering adding some enzymes or maybe a good pitch of wlp644. Anyone use it to attenuate a dextrinous wort?

I've been using wlp644 for a little while now...really like the pineapple flavor.
Just pitched into my Berliner last night and it's chugging away at 27C.

I just bottled a tripel, and was not impressed with the sample I took. Maybe will improve with carbonation.

Also not as attenuative as I had expected. Only took a 1.060 down to 1.006. Mashed low and lots of sugar. A similar beer a few weeks earlier with another yeasr (not 3711), went down to 1.002.

I'm not complaining, I just expected it to go lower from everything I had heard.

If beer improves in the bottle, I'll amend this post.

Sounds in line with this yeast's behavior. Your beer attenuated 90%. Don't know that you can expect more out of this yeast.

From a post of mine, 2 pages ago in this thread, my attenuation across 7 beers brewed with this yeast:

1. Mashed at 153. Attenuation 89%.
2. Mashed at 152. Attenuation 90%.
3. Mashed at 153. Attenuation 85%.
4. Mashed at 153. Attenuation 81%.
5. Mashed at 154. Attenuation 84%.
6. Mashed at 153. Attenuation 86%.
7. Mashed at 155. Attenuation 83%.

Sounds in line with this yeast's behavior. Your beer attenuated 90%. Don't know that you can expect more out of this yeast.

From a post of mine, 2 pages ago in this thread, my attenuation across 7 beers brewed with this yeast:

IT was a very fermentable wort; low mash temp and ~20% simple sugar. I would expect 90% out of any reasonable yeast with that. Based on what I had heard of Trois, I was expecting it to finish lower. I have it brewing an IPA right now - will see how it turns out.

Hi all,

I'm currently fermenting a double IPA with a 644 repitch as the sole yeast. I've fermented this high, getting it up to ~31ºC/88ºF, and I was hoping to get knocked over by the tropical fruit aromas. However, I'm mainly getting the sour notes.

the initial IPA I made sat on the yeast for a good while waiting for it to achieve FG, and developed the pellicle I've read about this wild sacch throwing out.

Is the long primary from the first beer (now a golden sour!) likely to be the cause of the souring currently being exhibited in this double IPA, or are people seeing the tropical fruit bomb aromas coming from a period spent in keg, or conditioning in bottle?

I'm incredibly intrigued by this yeast!

cheers!

Hi all,

I'm currently fermenting a double IPA with a 644 repitch as the sole yeast. I've fermented this high, getting it up to ~31ºC/88ºF, and I was hoping to get knocked over by the tropical fruit aromas. However, I'm mainly getting the sour notes.

the initial IPA I made sat on the yeast for a good while waiting for it to achieve FG, and developed the pellicle I've read about this wild sacch throwing out.

Is the long primary from the first beer (now a golden sour!) likely to be the cause of the souring currently being exhibited in this double IPA, or are people seeing the tropical fruit bomb aromas coming from a period spent in keg, or conditioning in bottle?

cheers!

I'm also using 644 to ferment a DIPA. only been 2 weeks. I'll take a reading when I start to dry hop this weekend. I ferment at 27C with this yeast. I normally get big pineapple/Mango in my British Bitter style beer, but I also add Lactic acid in the boil.

Hi all,

cheers!
the yeast isn't going to do much at all in the bottle. are you oxygenating? what's your pitch rate?

the yeast isn't going to do much at all in the bottle. are you oxygenating? what's your pitch rate?

I oxygenated both beers - tipping from bucket to bucket. I've read that not oxygenating results in a clean beer, no sourness. Would you go along with that?

As for pitching rate - the original pale ale had 1 vial. The double IPA wort was tacked on top of this yeast

In reply to TheHairyHop - 'Fraid I couldn't quote you from my phone, I was getting an error message

----

I oxygenated both beers - tipping from bucket to bucket. I've read that not oxygenating results in a clean beer, no sourness. Would you go along with that?

As for pitching rate - the original pale ale had 1 vial. The double IPA wort was tacked on top of this yeast

----

Under pitching and no oxygenation got me the fruit flavors. It wasn't explosive as some people have reported, but it was there

hmm, thanks.

The beer I'm brewing is 8.5% - I'm wondering whether under-pitching with 1 vial would give it enough oomph to ferment that all the way up, and whether it'd be safer pitching two - what do you reckon?

hmm, thanks.

The beer I'm brewing is 8.5% - I'm wondering whether under-pitching with 1 vial would give it enough oomph to ferment that all the way up, and whether it'd be safer pitching two - what do you reckon?

Definitely make a starter.
You'll end up with stressed yeast flavours.

I'm getting some contradictory information on fermentation temp on this strain. A lot of people on this thread say to ferment at standard ale temps, other in the mid-70's while the manufacturer says up to 85 is fine. Can this yeast really take temps of up to 85? I know saison yeasts are fine at that temp (and higher even, been there done that, made decent beer) so I'm not ruling it out.

Don't have a good temp control system so I brewed saisons for months last year and got pretty sick of them and would like to try something else, hopefully this yeast...

I'm getting some contradictory information on fermentation temp on this strain. A lot of people on this thread say to ferment at standard ale temps, other in the mid-70's while the manufacturer says up to 85 is fine. Can this yeast really take temps of up to 85? I know saison yeasts are fine at that temp (and higher even, been there done that, made decent beer) so I'm not ruling it out.

Don't have a good temp control system so I brewed saisons for months last year and got pretty sick of them and would like to try something else, hopefully this yeast...

I fermented with this strain a few times at 80f ambient with no temp control so would assume that it got at least to 85f during peak fermentation. One of the best ipas I've ever made.

I fermented with this strain a few times at 80f ambient with no temp control so would assume that it got at least to 85f during peak fermentation. One of the best ipas I've ever made.

Thanks, made a big two step starter so I could use this yeast a few times without buying more. Got a pale ale brewing away with this right now at room temperature. Decanted yeast starter liquid tastes totally clean as does a hydrometer sample of the pale ale.

Weird, expected more flavors. Not disappointed at all, hydrometer sample tastes great and what I wanted the most from this yeast is for it to be a clean high temperature yeast (was still pretty hot in mid September when I pitched this and just let it sit at room temp) and its delivered this in spades.

Will certainly brew this all summer next year. Am considering using it for an Arrogant Bastard clone and maybe mixing in some with some wit yeast to get somewhat better attenuation.

Wow, so I've just read all 103 pages of this thread in the past few days.

I've got a Galaxy single hop on the go with this, after getting a vial in an out of date lucky dip selection. I made a 1l starter (for a 12l batch), mashed at 68°C and got an OG of 1069. After ten days it was 1024, and it was down to 1020 after another week. I've had no temperature control and it's been about 21° all the time, give or take. I've hopefully got a heating belt and Inkbird coming today so I'll hopefully be able to warm it up to try and kick it along towards a complete fermentation. I might try racking to secondary this weekend for dry hopping, hopefully to give it a kick up the backside with some movement.

It's smelling so good, even before dry hopping. It's a little more bitter than I expected, but it's not unpleasant at all.

I've had it warmed up to 25°C for four days and it's only come down 1 point. I've stirred it up today and increased it to 26° so hopefully that'll kick it back into life.

So, anyone has bottles that are 3-6 mths old? Does it develop any wild farmouse like character, given that its still a wild yeast.

I've heard guys say it develops funk after 6 mths, and the bright esters take a back seat.

I don't have anything that I left sitting around for that long, but since it's a sacch, I think it's relatively safe to say that it won't do much by just sitting in the bottle

what size starter are people making? I just recieved a vial and was shocked at the tiny amount in the vial, it says i can pitch into 5 gallons.

unnamed.jpg

Mine was past its sell by date, and I made a 1 litre starter for about 11 litres (2 gallons ish). But it's been really slow so perhaps I should have made a larger one.

So I took a reading after four days at 26° and it's come back to life. Down to 1015 now, so I've dry hopped. I mashed high so I think it's nearly there, but we'll see.

what size starter are people making? I just recieved a vial and was shocked at the tiny amount in the vial
it is indeed a very small amount, i believe it's somewhere in the 2-3 billion range.

not only do you need a starter, but you need to step it up. a single step isn't going to give you enough growth. i would do a first small step, like 250ml, then step that up again.

but i don't have experience growing up this yeast. i've repitched it each time, getting my initial large pitch from another homebrewer.

a number of people have complained that 644 doesn't attenuate well. i wonder how many of them are underpitching.

it says i can pitch into 5 gallons.
yeah, that's their standard line. i suspect they meant that as a secondary yeast, back when they thought/pretended to think it was a brett.

Thoughts on this?
WLP002/WLP644 as a co-pitch / blend in primary.
I'm trying to figure out how much of a part the 644 would play in this? given I would probably begin by pitching into a low gravity beer to build up a big enough cake.

something similar to the Funktown yeast by Yeast bay.

Here were the options I'm looking at-
1/ Co-pitch WLP002/WLP644 as is in a 1.048 beer
2/ Co-pitch WLP002 / 500ml start of WLP644 into 1.048 beer
3/ Co-pitch 500ml starter WLP002 / 2 litre starter of WLP644 in to 1.052 beer ( slightly bigger blonde ale.

I'm leaning towards 2 or 3 at this stage.

Thoughts on this?
WLP002/WLP644 as a co-pitch / blend in primary.
I'm trying to figure out how much of a part the 644 would play in this? given I would probably begin by pitching into a low gravity beer to build up a big enough cake.

something similar to the Funktown yeast by Yeast bay.

Here were the options I'm looking at-
1/ Co-pitch WLP002/WLP644 as is in a 1.048 beer
2/ Co-pitch WLP002 / 500ml start of WLP644 into 1.048 beer
3/ Co-pitch 500ml starter WLP002 / 2 litre starter of WLP644 in to 1.052 beer ( slightly bigger blonde ale.

I'm leaning towards 2 or 3 at this stage.

Omega and Imperial yeasts both have a blend like this.

it is indeed a very small amount, i believe it's somewhere in the 2-3 billion range.

not only do you need a starter, but you need to step it up. a single step isn't going to give you enough growth. i would do a first small step, like 250ml, then step that up again.

but i don't have experience growing up this yeast. i've repitched it each time, getting my initial large pitch from another homebrewer.

a number of people have complained that 644 doesn't attenuate well. i wonder how many of them are underpitching.

yeah, that's their standard line. i suspect they meant that as a secondary yeast, back when they thought/pretended to think it was a brett.

thats pretty annoying. my latest brew day left some weak final runnings. i collected 2 gallons of 1.010 wort. its currently frozen and plan to use some of this to start building up a starter

I emailed them 4 days ago and they never responded. I sent a follow up email this evening

I emailed them 4 days ago and they never responded. I sent a follow up email this evening
you emailed who, about what?

if you emailed white labs, asking them to confirm cell counts, you might not get a response. historically they haven't been particularly forthcoming about the cell counts of their bugs.

Back