WLP565 Belgian Saison I yeast - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I prefer Wyeast 3711, that being said my LHBS didn't have any in stock when I purchased my ingredients.

I was doing some research on temp and it seems WLP565 likes the hotter temps and maybe needs them to finish off to a dry finish.

I have a couple of options on how to get it hot and thought I would see if there was preferred method.

1. I can wrap in a blanket and just leave in a warm part of the house.
2. I can use my therm wrap and temp control it to say 85*.
3. Or I can stick it out in my tool shed and let rise to whatever tep it wants to go to.

I did option three with Wyeast3711 and it turned out great. I'm not sure on this yeast which is the best way to go.

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts/advice

I put my carboys in a 20 gallon storage bin filled with water. I bought an aquarium heater for 20 bucks and simply set it to 85* and fully submerge it in the water.

I would go with option 1 or 2, depending on how warm your house gets. Where I live the outdoor option would never work because the temperature swings 35 degrees from day to night. Don't know if it's the same out there, but I try to avoid big swings whenever possible.

I just pushed 565 up really high on accident a few weeks ago with a heat wrap. I started it at 68, let it rise to room temp (around 76-78) then put the heat wrap on...I think it hit about 103 for a day before I noticed and took it off.

The good news is that it hit 1.004 in about 1 week. The bad news is that it's a phenolic mess. It's still sitting in the carboy, I haven't decided what to do with it.

If I had to chose from one of your options I would say 2. You want to avoid temperatire fluctuations which you would get with your third option.

Option two is sounding more and more like the correct way to go.

Any thoughts on top end temp for this yeast? On the White Labs site I seem to see 85* a lot and that sounds about right for my other saison's.

I'm thinking about pitching around 75* an then ramp it up over a period of a few days.

When I used WLP565, I pitched at about 72F and let it free rise to 80F or so where it stopped rising on its own. So I put the ferm wrap around it and set it to hold 85F where I held it for several weeks. I also wrapped it in a blanket to help hold in the heat. Worked out very well. It gave me the best attenuation of any yeast I've used to date (with extract).

Latest posts

Back