WLP565 based Saison - will it bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billvon

Reaction score
I have a saison almost ready to go into bottles (3 weeks in fermentor so far.) I made it with WLP565 even after reading all the dire warnings about how this yeast tends to stall. Even the manufacturer said that many people use WLP001 to finish the fermentation.

Well, it took a little longer to finish than most, but it ended up considerably below the final gravity target (software predicted 1.019, last reading 1.013.) The high temperatures my closet reached probably had something to do with it - it was over 80 for a few days before it finally went into the temp controlled chamber, where it's been sitting at 68F for about a week now.

So the question is - will this finicky yeast be willing to do the work in the bottle, or should I add some WLP001 or US-05 before bottling? Another way of asking - will adding additional yeast do any harm?

It won't do any harm, for sure. You might want to go ahead and pitch it now, and then bottle in another week. I know I like my saisons drier than 1.013 (got my last one down to 1.000: woot!), but your tastes may vary. In any case, no- adding more yeast will not hurt it, and it will probably speed your bottle conditioning.

I've made a couple batches of saison w/ 565 (I actually like that yeast better than the Wyeast Saison strain), and they bottle conditioned just fine. From what I remember reading, the yeast 'tends to stall around 1.034 but will restart and finish if given time.' I did observe this one of the times I used it.

FWIW, it's probably good that you had some increased temps...saison yeast can tolerate it, and the increased temp contributes to that saison character.

Back