WLP530 too sweet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xben

Reaction score
Hi!

I brewed a belgian type beer few weeks ago. I used :

55% of 2-row
7% of abbey malt, aromatic & special B (each)
3.5% carapils
2lbs inverted sugar
WLP530

Beersmith was giving me an OG of 1.072 and a FG of 1.006 if mashing at a single step of 147, which was below style. I had to raise the mash temp up to 156 to get an estimated FG of 1.011, which was borderline to the style.

Si I mashed at 156. I got my 1.072 OG, but ended at 1.017 after 1 month into primary (took few readings in the 3 last days).

I used this grain bill in the past with safale s-33+T58 mix, ending at 1.020 (that was my 2-3rd brew, I did not aerate.. I learned until then!)

Anyway.. The one fermented with WLP530 tastes like a juice to me! I hope this is because the beer is green, as it was bottled only 12 days ago. I always try a green beer to see the difference over time. But this one, I don't see how that sweetness could go away.

Did anyone had this "over-sweetness" using WLP530?

BTW, I'm using a hydrometer that I double checked already, just in case.

Thank you!

Remember that Beersmith doesn't actually give you an accurate projected FG- it just gives a % of the OG as the FG.

If you want the beer to finish dry, mashing at 149 or so would be the way to do it.

The too-warm mash temp, along with 7% each of sweet malts, is the culprit here. The only beer I mash at 155-156 now is my oatmeal stout, because I want it to finish at 1.018-1.020.

Not much you can do now, but it will taste a bit more together with some age and carbonation. Carbonation provides an acidic bite to counteract the sweetness.

In the future I will stick to my experience, mash at 147-149 and don't listen too much to beersmith!

I brewed the same scaled down recipe but I mashed @ 151. This one should finish drier.

Back