WLP510 Bastogne and banana esters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo

Reaction score
I know yeast can throw off sulfurs and all manner of crap while fermenting that tends to clean up after a couple weeks conditioning. and I've done mostly Belgians so am familiar with most things related to Belgian fermenting.

I've got this tripel in the primary now and it's been nice so far, with some fruit smells, as was the starter.

I just did the sugar addition since the initial ferment died down and now it's throwing off huge banana esters. I'm assuming this is because the abv is getting high and it's eating very fast, coupled with the slight rise in temps. It was pitched at 64 and bounced around from 64-68 as I tried to manage the water bath. Right now it's ~68-70.

My main question is, has anyone used WLP510 or other Belgian yeasts (not wit) that threw off a lot of banana esters, and had that clean up as it finished? ie. maybe some smell but not necessarily in the taste? I'm not stoked about the idea of a banana tripel, but knowing the main ferment was clean and this could be byproduct of the sugar addition I'm not worried and did DAHB. :mug:

Back