WLP300 with fermcap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I read somewhere that if i add a few drops of fermcap with my hefe it will control the kreusen enough where i wouldnt need a blow off. I just wanted to see if anyone else has used this preventative measure for an active fermentation. :tank:

Just get a blow off tube. I had not heard of ferm cap post boil to keep krausen down until you mentioned it. Midwest Supplies is the only place so far that mentions using it. Frankly, their statement here:
Used in the fermenter, it increases the bitterness of your beer (retained IBUs) by about 10%!
makes me never want to use it. I choose to control IBUs with hops, not chemicals. Using it to prevent boil-overs; however, is indeed something I have done and noticed no ill-effects.

Just get a blow off tube. I had not heard of ferm cap post boil to keep krausen down until you mentioned it. Midwest Supplies is the only place so far that mentions using it. Frankly, their statement here:
makes me never want to use it. I choose to control IBUs with hops, not chemicals. Using it to prevent boil-overs; however, is indeed something I have done and noticed no ill-effects.

I have a big mouth bubbler and dont have the right size tube to fit. I should of asked about this before i did it, but i went ahead and threw a few drops in post boil. Lets see how it effects the beer. :rockin:

I read somewhere that fermcap should only be used if the beer will be filtered before consumption because the high levels of silicone are bad for you.

I read somewhere that fermcap should only be used if the beer will be filtered before consumption because the high levels of silicone are bad for you.

If thats the case, im dying young!:confused:

True for commercial brewing due to vine and FDA regulations preventing it from being in the final product.

A couple drops in your homebrew is not an issue:)

Sent from the Commune

True for commercial brewing due to vine and FDA regulations preventing it from being in the final product.

A couple drops in your homebrew is not an issue:)

Sent from the Commune

Good, I just remember reading that somewhere. Sorry if I worried you OP! :cross:

Back