Wlp090

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkguy

Reaction score
Just curious about the lowest temp any one has used for this yeast.
I ask because I was planning to use a repitch of this for a barley wine, after firsr brewing an alt with it. LAst winter I made an alt with WLP001, which performed flawlessly at 59F ambient for fermentation, then 4 weeks at 38F, and carbed perfectly in under a week.
I got the impression that 090 is similar, but I want to be sure it will perform in the low 60s to get the same clean flavor I got from 001.
Any one care to share their experiences?

My experience with 090 shows that it likes the 66-69 temp best. I had a beer ferment at 64 with it and it took three weeks to hit final gravity.

I have a Black IPA brewed a week ago, 2/16. 1.076 OG. Pitched at ~67*.

I set my controller to 64*, when I checked the next morning it had taken off and was at 66*. I lowered the temp to 62* that same morning and turned the fridge on as low as it could go (turned the thermostat off, then back up just enough to kick on and cool slightly). Maintained at 62* for the first 3 days.

By 2/19 eve, it was at 1.022 and 64*. I raised the temp to 66* the next morning, then 68* the morning after that.

Checked the gravity yesterday 2/22 and it was 1.018. I bumped the temp up to 70*. Airlock activity has all but stopped, hardly any yeast rafts on the top, and a nice, solid yeast cake at the bottom. Tastes amazing.

I used a 2 step starter, with 2 vials to begin with (one was getting close to expiration date).

I didn't seem to have any issues with this yeast fermenting at 62*. Still dialing in temp control as it's in a fridge and I have a fermwrap connected to an A419, probe taped to the carboy with a foam insulation block over it. Also have a fermometer on the carboy and the strip and controller have been reading consistently.

TLDR; 1.076 OG; 1.018 FG (so far); 75% att; 62* for first 3 days, ramped up to 68-70*.

Back