WLP029 - under pitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Reaction score
I made a blonde ale yesterday and overshot numbers a bit (first run on new system)

Original numbers were to be 5.5 into fermenter with OG of 1.046

Actual ended with 6G into fermenter at 1.051

I was already close with projections if one pack would be enough, but with the overshoot I got worried as I don't have starter equipment yet and thinking I should get a second packet (but I also recall I grabbed the last pack of this at LHBS)

Pitched at 4PM, and by this morning already had decent activity in airlock (couldn't see if any krausen forming yet though)

Before I went to bed I had already decided to go get a second packet in the morning as I didn't want to stress the yeast and produce fusels. But now I am now questioning if I need to or should since I already have activity ??? I have good temp control and temp is set at 64 in thermowell.

First time using WLP029 so I have no experience with, but read a lot of other posts.

Let it ride or go with the hunch to add a second packet??

I would just wait, if you still get nothing after 72h you can pitch the 2nd packet. When i brewed my last ESB with just one packet in 6 gal of 1.055 wort it took almost 3 days to see and smell activity. I have to admit i got a little bit nervous. The beer turned out very good.

Exactly 48 hours post pitch. I have maybe a quarter inch krausen and bubbles every 2 seconds. Seems to be going, but i'm most concerned if the underpitch is gonna stress the yeast out or put out fusels.

Any 029 past experience that I should throw in another pack?

One pack was a small gamble but very likely to turn out just fine. I would have taken the same gamble but kept a pack of dry yeast on standby in case it didn't work out.

The beer will be fine, it takes a lot of a palate to tell the difference between a slight over pitch and a small under pitch. a lot of us brewers keep a extra pk off yeast for our comfort! :D

72 hours exactly and mostly all airlock activity stopped. Maybe 1 bubble a minute. I know airlock activity isn't an indicator of activity, but still wondering if I've stressed the yeast.

Last time I used 029 I put it in an American Wheat; 1 vial for 5.5 gallons at 1.056; ended up winning a bronze medal in the competition I entered. I wouldn't stress over it

72 hours exactly and mostly all airlock activity stopped. Maybe 1 bubble a minute. I know airlock activity isn't an indicator of activity, but still wondering if I've stressed the yeast.

The yeast just finished eating the easy sugars now it is cleaning ups!
:mug:

You'll be fine, after 7 days ramp up the temp to 72 to help the yeast re-uptake diacetyl and acetaldehyde. Kölsch strains have been bred to leave behind some acetaldehyde though, that fruitiness is their trademark characteristic so they never will fully clean up a beer.

Do check your package dates in the future, viability can really tank when it is near expiration (like 30%). A fresh vial/pack is only enough cells for a modest gravity beer without a starter. I just brewed a light lager with an old wyeast pack and had to do a double step up starter for it. As long as your sanitation is good, you'll get drinkable beer. Question is, do you want "drinkable" beer, or great beer?

Taking care of your yeast will significantly improve your beer. :tank:

Back