WLP007 slow to finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So last Friday(10/25) I brewed two 5 gallon batches, a black IPA and a English Brown Ale. I split a 1 liter starter between the two batches and had solid fermentation within 12 hours. Now 7 days later, both beers are still fermenting away with large krausens still formed on top. I haven't bothered to take a gravity reading yet as they are both obviously still in the process of fermenting, so I have no idea how far either beer has attenuated to. I have held the fermentation to 66-68 degrees for most of the week aside from a low starting point closer to 63 degrees. Not sure if this is normal behavior for this strain. All reviews claim fast fermentation times...so, not to sure. Again, both beers are steadily fermenting but I just assumed they would be almost done by now. Any input would be awesome

Sometimes the great flocculating properties of WLP007 can slow fermentation, especially when under-pitched.

Assuming both of those beers were about 1.055, you pitched just below the crease of a good pitching rate for that strain of yeast. But have no fear. They'll finish. Just the yeast is happy at the bottom is slow to make its way to the top.

I brewed my imperial pumpkin the same day & pitched WLP007. OG was 1.080.

since then
aerated again 24 hours after pitch
added maple syrup and yeast nutrient on day 4
added 1 jar Lyle's Golden Syrup and additional yeast (007 saved from starter) on day 6 (gravity 1.018 before addition)
added 1 lb sugar on day 8 (today, gravity again was 1.018)

like yours, temps were held to mid 60s.

first time I've used 007 but it looks like it fermented out pretty quick. am going to keep it in primary for another week, then rack it to secondary for bulk conditioning

depending on OG and size of starter it could take longer. 1/2L starter might not have been enough. For example, mr malty says for 1.060 OG you need 209 billion cells. with a stir plate and a very fresh tube of yeast you can expect about 306 billion cells in that 1 liter that you have divided in half or about 153 billion cells per batch. Don't worry, let it ride for another week and check gravity. I always have a batch that takes longer or shorter than I would expect (usually longer). White Labs says 65 to 70 degrees, so maybe bump it up to 69 about to let it finish.

I just finished my DIPA using 007. OG was 1.060 and I finished at 1.015. I think if I was patient it would have dropped to 1.012 or 1.010, but alas I was not. But I will say from 1.060 to 1.015 it took only 5 days. Nice.... I fermented at 62-63 degrees for the 5 days. I think the yeast would have worked harder if it was higher on the ale temp scale, but I was trying to shoot for the lowest end of the ale scale based on the instructions I had for this beer. In the end, I'm happy, drier than other IPAs I have brewed but still not as dry as I wanted because of my own lack of patience, but I love 007, the james bond of yeasts! I salvaged the yeast and have enough to use well into the future.

Latest posts

Back