WLP007 - Now I feel like an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing for years, and something just now dawns on me.

I rarely use White Labs, almost always Wyeast. Just what my LHBS has always had (although they now stock both).

I always assumed whenever I heard/read WLP007 Dry English Ale that "dry" meant a dry yeast. Didn't know why White Labs would make one dry yeast, but didn't question it.

Did I mention I rarely use White Labs and have never actually looked at this yeast?

Fast forward to today, a guy in one of my clubs posts a picture of a starter with it on Facebook asking a question.

And I make a total ass of myself asking why he was making a starter with dry yeast.

Never dawned on me that "dry" referred to attenuation.

Edit: I know what dry means in terms of beer, I just mean in this context of this strain

Well, I now have in my possession a vial of WLP007 (doing an AB clone, could have gone with the equivalent Wyeast strain, but what the hell), forever putting to bed this stupid idea in my head that it was a dry yeast. Hah.

Well, I now have in my possession a vial of WLP007 (doing an AB clone, could have gone with the equivalent Wyeast strain, but what the hell), forever putting to bed this stupid idea in my head that it was a dry yeast. Hah.

WPL007 flocs like a rock. Don't be surprised if your starter looks like it has chunks in it...because it will if not constantly stirred. Maybe even then... :)

One of my favorite yeasts! I use it in literally all of my hoppy beers, it showcases the hop so well! It also leaves a slightly dry mouthfeel, you know the one where you keep wanting to drink more and more? So good.

Stir plate is the plan, for sure.

I've used the Wyeast equivalent before (1098 British Ale), but it was long ago and I don't remember it. I've heard it described as a much drier form of 1968/WLP002, which would explain the high flocculation. I'm using it in the CYBI AB clone attempt #2 recipe (the one with ~90% 2 row, ~10% Special B, and 85/45/15/0 minute equivalent Chinook additions).

I love 007, I use that yeast the most. Its good to keep it warm too. Stone ferments at 72º, I like to start at 66-68 then let it rise to the 72º limit. Im my last batch with 007 I reached FG in 3 days. If you give it some O2 as well it will be very happy.

I haven't used 007 yet but I have a vial in the fridge for my next brew. I've made a bitter using 037 Yorkshire Square Ale yeast and was amazed to get 83% attenuation but it took 17 days. It's going into the Cornie tomorrow and tastes great already. I want to make the same recipe next using 007 to see what the difference is. I like a good dry beer.

For my straight up English style beers I love 1469 West Yorkshire (don't think there's a White Labs equivalent). Don't think I'll change that part. I've been using 1332 Northwest Ale in the rarer occasions where I brew American styles because I do like em a little fuller and fruitier than 1056/001 provides. I'll have to see how this works, but it might be worth the change. I definitely wouldn't use a higher attenuating strain for a Bitter. An ESB perhaps, but not a Bitter.

Here's how it looks on a stir plate. Oh yeah, if you plan to reuse harvest from the starter. Trying to rinse them from the trub is an exorcise of futility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

1392434560773.jpg

I've got a starter of it going now. Even inside the freakin vial the thing was hard to break up. I'll post a pic once the thing comes to life.

Back