WLP002 pitch rate recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
Making a Russian Imperial stout. About 1.100 OG or so, shooting for 10.5%. 6 Gallons.

What pitch rate do you guys recommend with this yeast? I was considering using S-04 instead, but I'm afraid that it will attenuate far below 1.020 FG (in my experience of other beers).

Could not find much information about pitching rates for this yeast online.

Thanks!

Good point. I never considered that interaction.

I personally prefer dry yeast, so maybe S-04 may be viable.
If I used S-04, would you think 2-3 packets?

WLP002 (or similar WY1968) is not suitable for a high gravity ale like that:
Attenuation: 63.00-70.00
Flocculation: Very High
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium (5 - 10%)

Yeast pitch / starter size calculator:
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

S-04 should do it, but 1.020 +/- 4 points, seems to be where she'll end up.

You definitely need ferm temp control, whatever yeast you use and good aeration/oxygenation, possibly twice.

WLP002 (or similar WY1968) is not suitable for a high gravity ale like that:
Attenuation: 63.00-70.00
Flocculation: Very High
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium (5 - 10%)

Yeast pitch / starter size calculator:
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

S-04 should do it, but 1.020 +/- 4 points, seems to be where she'll end up.

You definitely need ferm temp control, whatever yeast you use and good aeration/oxygenation, possibly twice.
All you need to do to get 002 to do higher gravity is to rouse it several times.

To stretch WLP002 that far you might want to pitch on top of a spent yeast cake. I do that a lot.

WLP 090 San Francisco super is also a pretty clean choice. It’s similar to 002 but will take higher gravity.

Try WLP540 instead - despite the name it's a non-phenolic, British yeast, but it's adapted to higher ABVs (allegedly at Rochefort).

Thanks guys. I'll run with S-04 since I've used it before. I'll basically use 3 packets, but will hydrate the yeast properly before pitching.

And yes, I will shake the living $hit out of the carboy before pitching for a couple minutes.

Trying to work on the water profile now. First time I ever had to raise the mash PH. I think I'm close. What do you guys think?

75625354_421295048747257_3924691499622596608_n.png

I played with it some more. Here's what I think I'm going with. What do you guys think?

78171086_1532826550189756_8537869993415540736_n.png

If using sufficient dry yeast there is no need to oxygenate, as you don't want the yeast to go aerobic. Also, I would significantly increase the amount of Ca in your mash/boil, targeting no less than 100 ppm wort Ca. This will both aid with mash conversion and help with fermentation/flocculation, this is especially important for high gravity.

Really? do you have any reading that I can look into on this?

an easy way I can do that is more pickling lime. This will raise my PH closer to 5.5.

The role of calcium in fermentation and yeast health has been extensively studied. Pretty much any professional brewing text will have information on this, including recommended wort Ca levels. Not mash, but wort. I can't stress that enough. I recommend Boulton and Quain as a starting point. I would not add more pickling lime, just use more CaS04 and/or CaCl2 to get the calcium up.

This is decent article on water; take note of the amount of Ca for the beer styles at the bottom.

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/resources/technical-articles/water-water-everywhere/

Back