WLP001 day 2 fermentation blow out when ferm temp lowered to 65F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngdh

Reaction score
I've got a DIPA in day 2 of fermentation that I moved into pot of cold water as ferm temps were creeping above 72F. Fermentation was giving a steady 2 bubbles per sec thru plastic bubbler with krausen a good 2 inches below vent hole on a plastic conical fermentor. When I pitched the yeast I had a blow off tube in place but after 20 hours the krausen was no where near vent hole and bubble rate was not vigorous so switched to plastic bubbler. When I checked on it 3 hours later after placing in water bath foam was blowing out of bubbler and external fermtemp was showing between 64-66F. I quickly got a blow off tube in place again. White Labs list ideal ferm temps for this yeast as 68-72F. It seems odd that the fermentation would get stronger and krausen would more than double in height with lower temps. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

001 is well known for its eruption tendencies and like most yeasts should have a blow off from the get go. I'm sure the fact it was moved (and agitated), was more of a reason for the blow out then the temp. WLP001 is the reason I tossed my 2L flasks for starters and purchased 5L ones. Got tired of cleaning up messes. :mug:

Latest posts

Back