WLP001 California Ale - Left out of the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarTeBrew

Reaction score
Hi forum members,

I purchased a WLP001 California Ale - White Labs Yeast and it came with an ice pack, but when the package arrives I forgot to take it and put it in the fridge and Yeast sits at room temp ~72 F for 24 hours before I realized and put it to freedge.

Should I buy another package or I am fine to use it?

Please advise.
Thank you.
Martin

You'll have less live cells than you otherwise would have. Whether you have enough depends on what you started with (how old was the yeast?) and what you're brewing (gravity and batch size?). My guess, and it's just a guess, is that your 24 hours at 72F might be equivalent to a couple weeks at fridge temps.

Hi VIkeMan,

Thanks for the reply. The Yeast expiration date is July 2021. I am planning to do 5Gal IPA, using a yeast starter on the spinning plate.

Hi forum members,

I purchased a WLP001 California Ale - White Labs Yeast and it came with an ice pack, but when the package arrives I forgot to take it and put it in the fridge and Yeast sits at room temp ~72 F for 24 hours before I realized and put it to freedge.

Should I buy another package or I am fine to use it?

Please advise.
Thank you.
Martin
24 hours at room temperature? That did exactly nothing to your yeast. Brew on!

The Yeast expiration date is July 2021. I am planning to do 5Gal IPA, using a yeast starter on the spinning plate.

Then to determine starter size, I'd recommend using one of the yeast starter calculators (here's one: Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator - Brewer's Friend ) and maybe add a couple extra weeks to the yeast's age. You can find out your yeast's production date (and thus age) at this link:
https://yeastman.com/infoOr, you could get the production date by subtracting 6 months from the Best By date, but I'm not sure how long that will remain valid (if it still is).

Back