WLP/Wyeast Sour blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
Fairly new to sours (i've done 2) and have only used bottle dregs from sours from a local brewery - problem is so far, they pretty much taste the exact same, and looking to go with a commercial WLP?wyeast pitch for my next sour.

What i'm wondering and what i wasnt able to find much info on...is that a lot of these Sour Mix/Flemish type sach/bug mixes are used as a single pitch to kick off primary.

My understanding is that only the sacch actually create alcohol, and that lacto/brett/pedio does not, correct?

with that said, if you're pitching all of them at hte same time, and your beer eventually gets down to a 1.003 1.004 or whatever....how do you really know the alcohol content, if you dont ferment with just a sacch first, take your FG reading, then add bugs later??

i get with sours, that the alcohol content really isnt a big factor as it may be with other ales/lagers....but i'm just curious how others are factoring this in with the commercial "sour mix" vials?

thanks!!

Brett and bugs can ferment and create alcohol. The equation to calculate alcohol content is the same as a clean beer.

well i stand corrected! that makes things easier now! :) now i'm wondering where i got my crappy information from...

Back