WLP 833 Slow Start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffcosgrove

Reaction score
This is my first time using a WLP yeast. I made a 3.7 L starter with two vials of WLP 833 German Bock on a stir plate. I am just starting to see some bubbles after 18 hours where I am used to seeing them well under 12 hours when I use Wyeast 2007 & 2206. I am wondering if the vials that I got have a much lower viability (Use by date 5/14/14 so production 1/14/14 ?) than expected or if this yeast is typically a slow starter. I am planning on harvesting some of this yeast, but don't want to underpitch my beer if the viability was much lower than the yeast calc tools anticipated.

Airlock activity 18 hours after pitching a lager isn't slow, it's perfectly fine.

What temp did you pitch and begin ferment at?

Yeah I'm brewing a dunkel with this yeast now and it was slow going in the beginning, despite three step ups in the starter. The first time I used it it took off faster but the temp could have been warmer. This time it's at 50 and rolling slow. It's prob ok

18 hrs is pretty quick. With proper pitching rates, and well oxygenated (pitched at 44f) wort I usually see wlp833 kick in between 24 and 36 hrs. It's not exactly a quick yeast either. I tend to use the set it and forget method as opposed to a d-rest; leaving the beer at a steady 49, I still have activity after two weeks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is activity in the starter, not my batch of beer that's why I'm wondering if viability was low and if I grew as many cells as calculated. The Wyeast lager yeasts that I use start much quicker. My theory was that if there was a low number of viable yeast then that is why it took longer to start. If 833 is notoriously slow then I wouldn't worry about it.

When doing starters on a stir plate, there's often little or no outwardly visible sign of fermentation. My guess is that the constant swirling keeps the krausen down.

Back