WLP 060 American Ale Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomBeerGuy

Reaction score
Last monday I brewed an 127 IBU IPA using armarillo and cascade hops. Brew session went ok. I checked the brew last night and I had no foam it appears to be done with active fermentation. I brewed a ipa that took 2 weeks on active fermentation with the same yeast a month ago. This one is appearing to be complete with only 4-5 days of active fermentation. So which brings me to my question, Is it possible the AA of hops playing a part in slowing the yeast down? The krusaun (please excuse my spelling) foam started off white then turned a white/green hue to it which is means this bad boy has alot of hop additions or could it just be a fast fermentation?

I have no doubt that IBUs affect the fermentation rate, but I suspect it is really a small factor. Temperature, amount of healthy yeast pitched, and aeration probably have a much bigger effect

I have no doubt that IBUs affect the fermentation rate, but I suspect it is really a small factor. Temperature, amount of healthy yeast pitched, and aeration probably have a much bigger effect

I know I am good in the pitch rate, temp, yeast health, and aeration. I will take a reading after I get home and post my results later.

I know I am good in the pitch rate, temp, yeast health, and aeration. I will take a reading after I get home and post my results later.

I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. I was just saying that in my opinion, the variation we get in pitch rate, fermentation temperature (and pitch temperature), health of yeast (how long since it was at full kraeusen in a starter or previous beer, and age), and aeration from batch to batch, will have a big impact on fermentation rate, while I suspect the effect of IBUs would be negligible by comparison.

I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. I was just saying that in my opinion, the variation we get in pitch rate, fermentation temperature (and pitch temperature), health of yeast (how long since it was at full kraeusen in a starter or previous beer, and age), and aeration from batch to batch, will have a big impact on fermentation rate, while I suspect the effect of IBUs would be negligible by comparison.

I never took your post as saying I did anything wrong RDWHAHB :mug:, I did take a reading and I was correct. These yeast beasted through this wort. After 4 days they took 1.068 to 1.006. So either tonight or monday I will dry hop it. It is very bitter but hey it is an IPA.

Back