WL565 quits bubbling then restarts--repeatedly... Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewZer

Work is the curse of the drinking class.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not worried, but I am curious if this is normal for this yeast:

I'm 4 days into a fermentation with WL565 (propagated overnight in a .75 liter starter) pitched into 5.5 gals of dubbel-like wort OG 1.074. Yesterday morning, the batch was bubbling along merrily in a closed tank when it suddenly quit bubbling and the bubble catcher went flat on the vent tube of the 3-piece airlock. I let it sit for an hour, then pulled a sample for a gravity check... 1.019, about 73% attenuated. I figured the yeast was done and put the airlock back on to wait for some clearing.

Two hours later, it was bubbling again. Three hours later, it was dead again. Just before bed, it was bubbling again.

This morning, it was still slowly bubbling, but about noon, it quit. Now it's bubbling again, about 6 seconds apart.

The wort is about 74 degrees in a 72 degree room. There's yeast/foam on top, but it's diminishing. There's a fairly thick layer on the bottom. Initially, there was a yeast storm about 12 hours after pitching, thru day 2, but that has ended.

Any ideas?

It's not your yeast that's bubbling, it's the wort. And the rate at which the wort releases CO2 will depend on temperature, the availability of nucleation points and so on.

So if it gets a bit warmer, or you disturb it, or natural convection kicks up some sediment, then it will release some gas.

Don't sweat it.

Back