Wit Beer Yeast WLP400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslive4now

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. Question.. Planning on doing my first Wit.. And was planning on using the WLP400 Wit yeast.. I read a lot about Sulfur Smell and it has me worried since it's my first Wit...

Any Tips to avoid this?? Could another yeast be used, like an Ale yeast???

Also, Planned OG is 1.049.. Would a starter be required or straight from Bag to Fermenter???

Thank you in advance for your responses....

:)

I haven't used WLP400, but used her equivalent WY3944 many times. There can be some light sulphur production in the beginning, but it dissipates quickly, nothing to worry about. They're very clean fermenting actually. It's not like some fruit wines... or ciders. You maybe thinking of Hefeweisen yeast, very different.

For a Wit WLP400/WY3944 (and many other special Wit yeasts) are the most appropriate yeast to use. You won't be disappointed.
For the record, Wit yeasts are ale yeasts. Do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature? You want it around 65 degrees, at least for the first 3-5 days, until it's mostly done.

Straight from bag to fermentor has nothing to do with a yeast starter, does it?
Yes, you should make a starter and do it a week in advance if you can, since cold crashing takes 3-4 days, or longer.

I just bottled a Belgian Wit and I used WLP400. It was very different from any other yeast I've used to this point, so here are my recommendations regarding this yeast.

First off, when I tasted the beer at bottling time, it tasted great with no hint of sulfur whatsoever. Next, be aware that it's VERY volatile. I've never had to use a blow off tube until this yeast, but this yeast shot right out of the carboy through the blow off tube within 24 hours of pitching. So I would recommend using a blowoff tube and not an airlock. This yeast took a bit longer to ferment than normal. I did a single stage fermentation and it was still bubbling after two weeks, so I had to wait until 3 weeks before bottling. After 3 weeks the FG was at 1.010 and so it was good to go at that point.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I haven't used WLP400, but used her equivalent WY3944 many times. There can be some light sulphur production in the beginning, but it dissipates quickly, nothing to worry about. They're very clean fermenting actually. It's not like some fruit wines... or ciders. You maybe thinking of Hefeweisen yeast, very different.

For a Wit WLP400/WY3944 (and many other special Wit yeasts) are the most appropriate yeast to use. You won't be disappointed.
For the record, Wit yeasts are ale yeasts. Do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature? You want it around 65 degrees, at least for the first 3-5 days, until it's mostly done.

Straight from bag to fermentor has nothing to do with a yeast starter, does it?
Yes, you should make a starter and do it a week in advance if you can, since cold crashing takes 3-4 days, or longer.

I appreciate the response and yes I do have a fermentation Chamber so I will set for 65...

And a starter it is then! Will be my first starter and first go with a liquid yeast... Wish me luck!!!

Cheers!!!

I just bottled a Belgian Wit and I used WLP400. It was very different from any other yeast I've used to this point, so here are my recommendations regarding this yeast.

First off, when I tasted the beer at bottling time, it tasted great with no hint of sulfur whatsoever. Next, be aware that it's VERY volatile. I've never had to use a blow off tube until this yeast, but this yeast shot right out of the carboy through the blow off tube within 24 hours of pitching. So I would recommend using a blowoff tube and not an airlock. This yeast took a bit longer to ferment than normal. I did a single stage fermentation and it was still bubbling after two weeks, so I had to wait until 3 weeks before bottling. After 3 weeks the FG was at 1.010 and so it was good to go at that point.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

DPveritasGold, I do appreciate the 2 cents!!! I will most definitely use a blow off tube and thank you for your reply!!

Always learning something right??..

Cheers!!!

I always let my wits free rise like my other belgians. Pitch around 65 and just let it go up from there. Usually gets to the mid 70s. This tends to give more yeast character IME

How do I get the most amount of tartness out of this yeast?

I have used WLP400 about 5 times and the tartness has not been a problem. I'd say don't over pitch and let the temp ramp from 65-75 over a week. Let it sit an extra week at 75F if you pick up a lot of sulfer after hitting FG.

I've used WLP 400 a few times the only big thing I could say is that is a slow starter. Be patient and keep your temps where it needs to be 65-75. Primary 3-4 weeks.

Back