Wit beer kit turning dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyCttown

Reaction score
First post here!! Thank you all in advance for your help. New to home brewing. Bought a kit from the local home brew store, white mountain wit. We are in the second conditioning phase, in a temp controlled kegerator, and the beer is turning dark. I always thought wit beers were more of a light cloudy color. Any ideas?????

Hey welcome to the forum man ! Like brewbama said oxidation can darken beer. A few other things to note also. When using extract your beer will be a bit darker then normal and beer in your fermenter will look darker then in your glass as well. When you say second conditioning phase do you mean you racked it into a clean carboy ; secondary? If so I would stay away from doing that . The only reason to do secondaries is racking on fresh fruits or long conditioning .

Was the kit extract (if so liquid or dry) or all-grain?

How are you measuring the color of the beer?
I think it was just how it looked in the carboy. When we transferred it to the keg the color was much lighter. Any force carbonating tips???

Welcome. Love to see people jumping in feet first. Do NOT get discouraged; any error made can be fixed. Sorry, no good info on forced carbonation.

Welcome to the forum! Once your beer is in the clean and sanitized keg and the lid is secured sanitize your gas post and connect and purge the keg a few times, in an attempt to reduce oxygen. Set the pressure to 30 pounds and let that get really cold some people are impatient and roll the cold keg to hasten absorption of gas. This can also hasten oxidation. If you can wait a few days, pull the PRV after setting the pressure to 20, then the following day release and turn down the pressure to 10. That’s one way, (and there are other approaches as well) you could just let it get cold then set the gas @ 12 # for a week.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-video-force-carbing.363315/

I think it was just how it looked in the carboy. When we transferred it to the keg the color was much lighter.
Obviously not darkened due to oxidation. Beer will be darker in the fermenter. Beer will also be darker when the yeast is active. When making color adjustments to recipes, most people will evaluate beer color in the glass.
New to home brewing. Bought a kit from the local home brew store,
Any force carbonating tips???
Maybe check with your local home brew store. If they are still in business, they are likely doing a lot of good things for their customers.

Last edited:
I think it was just how it looked in the carboy. When we transferred it to the keg the color was much lighter. Any force carbonating tips???

I set to 30 psi for 36 hrs then 12 psi . When you set it to 30 psi pull the prv a few times purging the keg. After about 24-36 hours after you set to 12 your good to go. This is with a kegerator set to 36-38f

Back