Wit beer cold serving temp issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlash630

Reaction score
My fridge is currently set to the mid 30s and it also is my draft station, I don't have any issues with aroma and flavors coming through of my IPAs. However, my recent wit beer is completely hidden until it warms up to the 50s.. is there anything that could be done differently during brewing to help the aroma and flavors come through while it's colder?

Cold is going to keep a lot of flavor and aroma in hiding.

If you got something to possibly have a resemblance to those flavors and aromas of that beer when at lower temperatures, then you probably will have a recipe and hop list that isn't the same.

I don't even like my IPA's till they warm up after coming from the refrigerator.

What flavors and aromas are you missing? The malts or hops or something else, or do you want it all?

When it's fresh out of the fridge, the only flavor that I get is bitterness and effervescence.... once it warms up, the citrus and malt character comes alive. take a blue moon for example... its a citrus bomb if its cold or warm.. I'm not wanting to go to that extreme... but you get what I'm saying...

but you get what I'm saying
Not really, I don't enjoy drinking very cold beer. However the IPA's I've been making lately have plenty of hop tastes right out of the fridge when they are still around 42°F. But they get better as they warm up. Probably about 50ish °F.

So I can't really feel your pain or desire for cold cold beer. You can probably stuff a bunch more hops in at flameout or dryhop more. But I'm not sure if that will give you what you want. And it probably won't be a proper Witbier anymore.

Ice cold beer is really an American hang up. It completely dulls flavor and makes no sense. The reason bluemoon is an orange flavor bomb even when cold is likely due to them using orange flavouring/extract. I like most of my beer styles in the high 40s-50f. If I have a couple of lagers on tap I may drop the fridge down to mid 40s. Witbeer recommended serving temp is 40-45 so either up your fridge or leave your pint to warm for a bit before you start to drink it.
https://www.craftbeer.com/styles/belgian-style-wit

I'll just let the pint warm up a bit prior to drinking it.. I have to keep the fridge at a normal fridge temp since we keep leftovers in it or use it for additional space after a grocery trip.

There’s a reason Coors wants the mountains blue. You can’t taste it.

The same thing is happening to your wit beer. Likely your IPA’s as well, they just have much more aroma so you perceive more flavor. Remember, a large element of taste comes from smell.

Lastly, cold fridge is good for preserving beer longer so IMO, I’d rather store cold and allow a pint an extra 5 minutes to warm rather than storing warmer.

Back