Wiring temp probe to 2.5mm jack plug for Grill temp sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmanse

Reaction score
Hi.

I wired this sensor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDSR59R/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Attached to a 1.5" TC x 1/2 Npt and a 2.5 mm jack plug to work with a ThermoPro grill temp sensor

And I keep getting an "HHH" code on the sensor. Does anyone know what this means?

My goal is to have a digital temperature readout for my HLT and MT. I have all 1.5" tri clamp fittings I would like to utilize.

Thanks

Greetings Jmanse, and welcome to HBT! :mug:

I expect HHH and LLL indicate probe readings outside the scope of the temperature monitor - which would include OPEN and SHORTED probe wiring. That was the case for the inexpensive digital smoker/grill monitors I've owned, including the "wireless" ones.

From the manual: "If the receiver and / or the transmitter display LLL or HHH instead of the probe temperature, wait for probe to reach room temperature. If LLL or HHH is still displayed or you get a false temperature, squeeze the probe jacks harder into the transmitter and twist them back and forth so they make good contact. If the problem still persists, it is likely the internal probe wire has shorted out either through moisture or heat damage."

But in this case I suspect a whole different problem: What led you to buying a K-type probe as a replacement?
I wager nearly all inexpensive temperature monitors use NTC thermistors, not anything remotely exotic as a K-type probe...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Day trippr.

I don't know what k type even means. It was available and affordable and it fit the 1.5" tc thermowell that I am using. I've scoured the internet for an all in one triclamp temp probe that won't break the bank. Cheapest I've found was around 50 bucks.

Thanks again.

Greetings Jmanse, and welcome to HBT! :mug:

I expect HHH and LLL indicate probe readings outside the scope of the temperature monitor - which would include OPEN and SHORTED probe wiring. That was the case for the inexpensive digital smoker/grill monitors I've owned, including the "wireless" ones.

From the manual: "If the receiver and / or the transmitter display LLL or HHH instead of the probe temperature, wait for probe to reach room temperature. If LLL or HHH is still displayed or you get a false temperature, squeeze the probe jacks harder into the transmitter and twist them back and forth so they make good contact. If the problem still persists, it is likely the internal probe wire has shorted out either through moisture or heat damage."

But in this case I suspect a whole different problem: What led you to buying a K-type probe as a replacement?
I wager nearly all inexpensive temperature monitors use NTC thermistors, not anything remotely exotic as a K-type probe...

Cheers!

Back