Wiring help from controller to EBIAB element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortlessGBRacker

Reaction score
I recently purchased an EBIAB controller, and I overlooked that the power cord from the controller to the element in the kettle uses two different connectors.

I need to go from controller - l5-20p to element l6-30r.
The l5-20 is labeled for hot neutral and ground, while the l6 30r is labeled for ground, and two hot wires, G, X&Y

My questions is, how do I determine which "hot" to use for the neutral? Or, does is matter which side is the neutral?

Thanks for the help!

L5-20A = 120 VAC 20 amps = Hot + Neutral + Ground

L6-30A = 240 VAC 30 amps = Hot + Hot + Ground

I doubt you can convert one to the other. Certainly not without some guidance from the controller manufacturer. Tell them you want to connect to a 240 VAC element.

Thanks, I did speak with the manufacturer. The issue is that I have a sort of uncommon element. It's rated for 2250 watts at 120V. The manufacturer of the element chose to integrate the l6 30 plug into the element.

The solution that I came to with the manufacturer of the controller is that polarity across the element doesn't matter, and therefore it's all good as long is the ground is wired correctly.

2250 watts @ 120 vac calculates 18.75 amps, 6.4 ohms.

Make sure you have a 20 amp circuit breaker. At 18.75 amps, you are asking (likely?) to trip the circuit breaker. Make sure nothing else is on that breaker. Even other sockets that might share the breaker.

Definitely use ground fault circuit interior, GFCI.

An L6 has 2 hots & 1 gnd

L6 L5
Hot #1 -> 120 vac hot
Hot #2 -> 120 vac neutral
GND -> GND

No guarantee this arrangement will not trip the GFCI.

Good luck.

You can easily connect the two different plug/receptacle styles. If you are running at 240V. Then the neutral terminal in the L5-20 gets connected to one of the hots (doesn't matter which one.) If you are running at 120V, then the neutral gets connected to one of the hot terminals of the L6-30 (again, doesn't matter which.) In either case you need to keep the max current below the 20A rating of the L5-20, which means the max element rating at 240V would be 4500W.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for all the replies, and advice. I wired it up as suggested, and haven't had any issues with the breaker tripping, 2250 watts at 120V. Two successful brews so far, and hopefully a third tomorrow. I bought a Hotrod heat stick from @Bobby_M after only reaching a simmer on the first brew. Really happy with the extra power from the Hotrod on a separate circuit!!!

So to make a short story long, Thank you very much for all the great advice!!!!!

Back