Wiring For a fermentation fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwizard0

Reaction score
I got a cheap fridge off of craigslist and what to separate the fridge/freezer functions using two of the stc-1000s. One for the fridge, one for the freezer. the goal is to have the freezer always on and the fridge used only when needed. It did not have an electrically controlled damper, but I got one off ebay really cheap. The only problem is that it uses power to both open and close the damper (I was hoping that it would close with no power applied). Using the STC-1000 cool circuit, it will close a switch when it needs to cool allowing power to flow to the damper to open it. However, I want this to stop power to the line that closes the damper. This is the part of the circuit that I cant figure out. Basically, when power flows to the opening side of the damper I want it to stop power to the closing side and when power stops flowing to the opening side it should flow to the closing side. I need something that is like an electrically controlled switch with a NO/NC side but I don't know what to search for in google. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It seems like one STC 1000 would work... power from the cooling circuit opens the damper, and it stays under power/open until the temp is lowered to the set temp.
Then when it is too warm, the controller gives power to the heating circuit, and the damper closes. You could also hook up a small heater to the same circuit, as simply closing the damper is not going to raise the temp quickly.
The only problem I foresee is supplying continuous power to the damper. It probably was meant to be opened or closed with a timed pulse, or possibly had a switch at the end of it's throw to turn off the power once the cycle is complete.

Back