Wiring a Switch Outlet for a Mill Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sredz

Reaction score
I purchased a Crankandstein 2A mill. I’m working on building a stand and hopper for the mill (will post pics soon). I purchased this drill http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html from Harbor Freight to power it. I was thinking I could wire an extension cord to this combination switch/outlet (http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/combination-outlets/standard/691.aspx#spec), plug the drill into the outlet and use the switch to turn the drill on/off. I can’t seem to get this thing wired up properly. I cut the end off the extension cord and ran the black wire to the brass screw on the left side of the switch and the white wire to the silver screw on the left side of the switch and connected to green wire to the ground nut. I left the tab connecting the two brass screws on the right side in place. When I plug the extension cord in I get no power to the outlet. I’m an electrical noob so I’m sure there is something obvious I am overlooking here. Any thoughts on how I can make this work?

ya, white gos to the outlet. How many screws on your switch? best post pics so we can draw arrows. Or find some one local that can help.

Do not plug that thing in again until you get is strait.

I purchased a Crankandstein 2A mill. I’m working on building a stand and hopper for the mill (will post pics soon). I purchased this drill http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html from Harbor Freight to power it. I was thinking I could wire an extension cord to this combination switch/outlet (http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/combination-outlets/standard/691.aspx#spec), plug the drill into the outlet and use the switch to turn the drill on/off. I can’t seem to get this thing wired up properly. I cut the end off the extension cord and ran the black wire to the brass screw on the left side of the switch and the white wire to the silver screw on the left side of the switch and connected to green wire to the ground nut. I left the tab connecting the two brass screws on the left side in place. When I plug the extension cord in I get no power to the outlet. I’m an electrical noob so I’m sure there is something obvious I am overlooking here. Any thoughts on how I can make this work?

You describe all screws (with possible exception of the ground screw) as being on the LEFT side. I would think that the tab connecting the 2 brass screws would be on the side opposite the screws where you should connect the hot & neutral wires - is this correct?

I don't have one of these devices in front of me, but if I remember right, I think your wiring is ok. Double check to see that the outlet you're plugging the extension cord into is hot & your switch on the device is "on". If you don't have any test equipment, it's hard to say - you may have a defective device or an open in the cord.

You describe all screws (with possible exception of the ground screw) as being on the LEFT side. I would think that the tab connecting the 2 brass screws would be on the side opposite the screws where you should connect the hot & neutral wires - is this correct?

I don't have one of these devices in front of me, but if I remember right, I think your wiring is ok. Double check to see that the outlet you're plugging the extension cord into is hot & your switch on the device is "on". If you don't have any test equipment, it's hard to say - you may have a defective device or an open in the cord.

Sorry, you are correct, the two brass screws are on the right side - opposite from where I made my connections. Here is basically how I wired it, except, on the right side, I left the tab in place and did not use the jump wire:

qjOZf.jpg

Yeah, that's what I figured - it looks correct. If you have rechecked everything else and it still doesn't work, then try a different device - maybe you got a bad one. Good luck!

Hi

Simple troubleshoot:

1) Plug the drill into the wall - does it run or not?
2) Plug a known good light into the switched outlet - does it come on / go off?
3) Plug the light into the outlet the switched box plugs into - does it come on?

Somewhere in there you are likely to find which part of the setup is at fault. Once you do, it's a *lot* easier to figure out what's wrong.

Bob

Turns out it was a defective switch. Took it back for a different one and it works like it should. Will post some follow up pics of mill when its complete.

Hi

A cheap little "voltage tester" is a nice thing to have to troubleshoot this sort of thing. They also might save you a nasty surprise if you use them often ...

Bob

Latest posts

Back