Wiring a March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
Since a simple google search combined with a forum search turned up no results, I am turning to the experts here to augment my lack of electrical abilities.

I recently purchased a March pump sans plug. I plan on wiring it to my stand with a switch, but I mainly want to know what I need to connect to where. I want to wire the pump to a switch and the switch to a plug on the stand. Then I can just hook up an extension cord and let er rip.

I can post pump pics if need be.

Get a cheap 25' outdoor extension cord. Cut off the female end and strip back some of the outer insulation. Run it into the march pump box through a cable clamp and wirenut it on to the three wires. The wires will be the same colors, white, black and green.

Mount your switch box and fold that cable into a loop and into the switch box, strip back some outer insulation inside the box and cut only the black wire. Each of the cut ends go on to the switch terminals. Strip a small 1" section of insulation off the green and run it around the ground screw on the switch.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot.... the wires are black, black, and green. I wish it were 3 different colors... because then I would probably have done what you wrote. I figured there was something special with these march pumps...

I THINK that addresses my main concern. It doesn't matter which black wire goes where is what I am gathering.

March pump motors should not be reversible. AC motors are not reversed by switching the hot and common leads, but rather by forcing the direction of phase shift between motor windings (usually accomplished by switching leads under a panel on the motor casing - not simply by swapping the hot and common leads).

In short, the black wires' "polarity" (term used loosely in this context) does not matter.

in not-an-electrician language I meant that the wires are reversible. It don't matter which a dem you hook up to black and whicher one you puts on the white. :cross:

But I should be more clear when surrounded by people who can build that automated electric flash-boiling crazy brewhouse. ;)

I made sure of that... I almost made the 220 mistake twice.

Nathan, it seems like whenever I talk to or read Yuri's posts, i am reading greek.... it really makes me wish I knew what he was talking about... it would probably come in handy and I wouldn't have to post on here so much.... I go to google with his sentences and try to translate them into english.... the results are "You are in over your head. Hire an expert"

I wouldnt so much say that, I just haven't had time this week to tackle the wiring. I have painting to do on the stand, more welding (stupid banjo burners), and waiting for the last load of parts to arrive from various suppliers.

Once I get time to tackle the wiring, the questions will again start pouring out. At that time, I hope to be able to devote all of my mental capacity to understanding what you type so I can have conversations in electrospeak and not look like an idiot :)

Back