Wires 10 gauge to 12 gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolomieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So please tell me if i have this right. I'm running 10 gauge wire in to a box, its on a 20 amp circuit. Once I get in the box and put those mains on a terminal block, I should be able to run 12 gauge wires to the PID, SSR and outlet. Am i right think i can do that? do i need to put in fuses dropping down from 10 to 12 gauge?

I get that now, though the extension wire is 10/3 so it was requested that the lead into the box be 10/3. I know better now but I'm hoping switching to 12 gauge inside the box will be no big deal. Is that correct? I hope

So please tell me if i have this right. I'm running 10 gauge wire in to a box, its on a 20 amp circuit. Once I get in the box and put those mains on a terminal block, I should be able to run 12 gauge wires to the PID, SSR and outlet. Am i right think i can do that? do i need to put in fuses dropping down from 10 to 12 gauge?

Don't mean to complicate this but ..... (ignore if you want)
I am making the assumption that your are protecting your PID's with breakers or fuses.

PID's have very little power draw (3 amps max), there is no reason to have anything heavier than 14 to 16 gauge, if that. As far as from the PID to SSR's all you need is telephone or thermostat wire, don't remember the gauge at the moment 20 or 24 gauge? The only place there is high voltage or need for 12 gauge wire is to/from terminals 3 & 4 of the SSR's to the element outlets and the other live line to elements.

You won't hurt anything using the heavy wire, but it is more of a PIA to work with for no advantage.

If you use contactors in your system and breakers this is especially the case.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I was thinking of putting a fuse in like the primer suggests. I'll probably run 12gauge to the fuse the maybe just use hook up wire from there to the pid. Then hook up wire to the SSR. 12 gauge will hook up the SSR to the block and the outlet. No contactors, this is just a basic pid temp controller for a rims, though this will be for a powder coating oven for my brother.

Went with 18guage thermostat wire like you suggested. Also put in an inline .25amp fuse as suggested in the primer.

IMG_20150403_200120867.jpg

IMG_20150403_194835555.jpg

IMG_20150403_200151171.jpg

Back