Wire mesh or CPVC ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnscooter

Reaction score
This has probably been brought up before, but when building a MLT from a rectangular cooler, what do you feel would make a better manifold, the wire mesh type or the slotted CPVC type? To me anyways, it looks like the CPVC manifold may be more efficient but I have no experience with either one, so what do I know?..

Haven't tried stainless mesh, but I get efficiencies generally in the high 70s to low 80s with my CPVC manifold. And it only cost a few bucks to make. I'm not switching. :)

I tried the stainless mesh and somehow I screwed it up making my first all-grain batch extremely hard to get out of my mashtun (fortunately the beer came out awesome :mug:). So I made my self a cpvc manifold, this one worked extremely well. I dont know what my efficiency was but I am very happy with it. And it was a cinch to build and probably was cheaper than the stainless mesh.

I have the wire mesh screen and it does NOT get all the wort out of the cooler. I have to tilt it pretty far to get the last half gallon or so out then sparge and do the same thing.
I am thinking about going to a CPVC soon and try that route.

Latest posts

Back