Winterizing the basement brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoLincoln

Reaction score
So it's really freaking cold here in northern Illinois, and I was down in my basement trying to plug up air leaks, and I was working in the basement brewery and I put my hand inside my vent hood to see if any cold air was coming in from the vent area, and...oh yeah. A goodly amount of cold air coming in from there. What to do...

So first I got some scrap 1/2" rigid pink insulation and cut it to fit snugly inside the air intake of my inline fan. Then I took some duck tape and wrapped the edge so it wouldn't get bits of insulation all over the place every time I put it in or removed it. Then I popped a hole in the middle and got a small piece of wood and popped a hole in that. Added some paracord and tied a knot, and...voila!
ZJ1qzW.jpg

That looks pretty good, and it definitely helps keep the cold air out.
RoTCAG.jpg

But the end of that string needs something...air intake...hmm...this reminds me of something...
fkmfZY.jpg

PERFECT.

Anybody else have any ideas on winterizing a basement brewery? I can't think of anything.

Awesome, as I fly rc airplanes I love the remove before flight thing, unfortunately my "basement" brewery is a not quite done yet enclosed leanto that isn't fully enclosed nor insulated, therefore I'm stuck brewing in the kitchen and fermenting in my master bathtub until they get the airlock and go in master bathroom closet...have a low of -3 before the windchill tonight....gotta love Michigan

Back