Winter Solstice brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbricks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The idea is to brew on the solstice, and age it until the next solstice while starting the previous years.

Last year I brewed a Belgian quad style solstice beer on December 21, and pitched the yeast at 3pm. It will go on tap this December 21st.

Since it's now December, have to start planning the next one. I'm thinking something like an Old Ale, but up in the 10-11% range.

Anyone else interested in trying this? Any suggestions for a strong Old Ales?

It's a fun idea- have you tried last year's beer yet?

Here's my old ale- it's one of my favorites:

83% Maris Otter (Fawcett)
9% Munich malt 10L (Best Malz)
5% Dark Crystal Malt (Fawcett)
2.5% special roast (Briess)
0.5% chocolate malt (Fawcett)

Bitter to ~45 IBU with Northern brewer or your choice of english bittering hop
OG 1.090, WLP002

A note on the crystal malt: Fawcett lists its 120L crystal as "Dark" but many other british suppliers have that color as "Extra dark." This flavor is critical- don't use an american crystal 120- use any British crystal in that range.

One bottle was tried at the halfway point, on the summer solstice to make sure it was aging ok and didn't have any off flavors. All was good, so I'm expecting it to be pretty good.

Your recipe is eerily similar to what I have cobbled together - 87% MO, 8% C40, 4% C120, 0.5% roast barley for color. I've had your beer, and unfortunately it's better than mine, so changing to your recipe. Just higher OG, around 1.1.

Have you tried Wyeast 9097, the Old Ale blend?

One bottle was tried at the halfway point, on the summer solstice to make sure it was aging ok and didn't have any off flavors. All was good, so I'm expecting it to be pretty good.

Your recipe is eerily similar to what I have cobbled together - 87% MO, 8% C40, 4% C120, 0.5% roast barley for color. I've had your beer, and unfortunately it's better than mine, so changing to your recipe. Just higher OG, around 1.1.

Have you tried Wyeast 9097, the Old Ale blend?

Your recipe sounds great, just less Britishy than mine. I haven't tried the Old Ale Blend- not sure I've even seen it! I'd really love to get my hands on some Southwold Bitter Yeast (WLP025, I think?) , but I haven't been able to find anyone with a slant of it.

I like this idea. I might make something big like a triple or quad or old ale and let it sit. I will have to brew it earlier since I will be away from my brewing equipment that day and can't afford to buy new equipment for one batch.

I did something similar a while back. In late December, 2012, I brewed a North Coast Old Ale-inspired barleywine and let it sit for exactly one year before trying it.

Basically it was all Maris Otter boiled for 3.5 hours. It was a gorgeous deep reddish amber with a wonderfully complex flavor. After another year-plus in the keg, I bottled the rest. Still have 9 or 10 bottles.

A note on the crystal malt: Fawcett lists its 120L crystal as "Dark" but many other british suppliers have that color as "Extra dark." This flavor is critical- don't use an american crystal 120- use any British crystal in that range.

I'm having trouble finding it. Simpsons is English, and they have Dark Crystal and Extra Dark Crystal but at 75 or 160L. Think a blend of the two would work?

Love the idea. If you've never done a sour, that could be a good one since a lot of brewers have a hard time being patient and leaving it alone for a year.

Back