Winter Makes Me Hate Propane! Convert Equipment or Go GRAINFATHER??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally built my system last spring. I was tired of using propane and was using a 240v 5500w Kettle Rims with a buddy and loved 4 hour brew days. I built a bit simpler of a controller and haven't looked back. I brew in my basement, takes all of 4 hours with clean up, sometimes 3.5 hours. It was a bit more of an upfront cost but, I'm not worrying about having enough propane and it's much more efficient. I have my washer/dryer close by so I tapped into my washer's cold water supply for my chiller. No more freezing my schnuts off with propane or having the hose freeze when you're ready to chill.

After almost running out of propane last winter, I decided to go electric and never worry about it again. I built my own 3 vessel eHERMS system using one tri-clamp heating element in the HLT and one Hot Rod I'm the boil kettle (I wanted to be able to remove everything from the boil kettle at the end of the boil for an unobstructed whirlpool). I ran a bunch of water through the system to check for leaks and make sure everything operated properly and was able to bring 7 gallons of water from mash temp to boil in 15 minutes.
My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to buy a Hot Rod or two and a Hosehead brewery controller and run CraftbeerPi. You can also use the Hosehead controller to run a fermentation chamber, so it's a great investment.

in NJ you have to buy a license from an existing bar and it has to be a full license.
if you open full on brewery you can have a tasting room, but the state pretty heavily restricts you from operating as a bar. :(

where is your brewpub? I'd love to visit a hbt member's business! cool to see someone come up from homebrewing!
We are actually not open yet.. almost. We are just north of buffalo right wher the Erie canal meets the niagara river in north tonawanda

We are actually not open yet.. almost. We are just north of buffalo right wher the Erie canal meets the niagara river in north tonawanda

Sweet! Im in Rochester! You'll have to let me know when you open, I'll definitely come out! Whats the name?

Heck, I'll make the trip from the other side of the state (Hudson Valley)! Definitely let is know when you're up and running.

Ok thanks guys but I dont want to hijack this thread :) Its Prosper brewing llc hopefully we will be opening within a few weeks.
Goowa, thats kind of funny, im leaving to finish a service call in Webster in about 30 mins.. Small world

To all you guys (and gals) that have spouses that don't want the beer smell in the kitchen...
Provide a cost estimate to you spouse for putting in an exhaust fan and the electrical and plumbing connections in the basement or the garage. If she agrees, go for it.
If she doesn't agree, offer to giver her half of the money you would have spent for the inside brewery, to spend on whatever she wants, in exchange for being able to brew in the kitchen when the weather is bad.
There's nothing wrong with negotiation in a relationship.
I don't brew in the summer, its too hot and I have other things to do, but I'll brew 4-6 kegs of different beers in the spring to get me through. I don't see why you couldn't reverse that and brew enough beer in the fall to get through the winter.
Its probably cheaper to get an extra freezer, a temp controller. and some used kegs than it is set up an indoor brewery.

Might also look into one of those kettle condensers that reduce/eliminate the steam coming out of the kettle during boiling. I'd think you could also use it during mash to drastically reduce the strong malty aromas when brewing indoors.

head over to the biab section of the forums and look at people's electric biab setups.
you won't consider a grainfather or convoluted 3V system anymore.

Always hearing from the loyal BIAB people brought me to researching it and the Grainfather. The GF appealed to me due to digital aspect and all in one , sparging, pump and chilling. I used to think a three vessel system was the superior option for serious Homebrewers but after several batches I realized there are more important factors to improve upon.

Always hearing from the loyal BIAB people brought me to researching it and the Grainfather. The GF appealed to me due to digital aspect and all in one , sparging, pump and chilling. I used to think a three vessel system was the superior option for serious Homebrewers but after several batches I realized there are more important factors to improve upon.
I've only ever brewed on my single vessel elec. BIAB system, and I don't even know how to operate a 3V setup, but I do suspect that the inability to vorlauf and filter the wort through the grain bed leads to an unpleasant graininess and a lingering 'green' flavor that takes some extra time to age out of the beer. I love BIAB and have no plans to switch, but I do think there are tradeoffs for the simplicity, ease, and convenience that elec. BIAB offers. Disclaimer: I may be crushing too fine.

My isdue with BIAB I'd lifting the grain bag out. For a regular 5 gallon batch, I'm sure it's fine. However, that's got to be pretty heavy if youryo doing a 10 gallon batch or more or a big beer. I know I could rig some pulleys up if it came to that, but it seemed like too much work so I went 3 vessel.

My isdue with BIAB I'd lifting the grain bag out. For a regular 5 gallon batch, I'm sure it's fine. However, that's got to be pretty heavy if youryo doing a 10 gallon batch or more or a big beer. I know I could rig some pulleys up if it came to that, but it seemed like too much work so I went 3 vessel.
Lol, I was kitchen brewing at first but as I started moving from partial mash to more grain with BIAB the bag draining got awkward.
Made a switch to the garage workshop with 3500w induction burner set up.
Love the simplicity and ease of brew day and clean up.
20181211_122551(1).jpg
20181211_142653.jpg
20181211_174823.jpg

How many gallons can you brew?

I REALLY like your fermentation setup!

Thanks, I moved everything close together as I have a worn out knee. I only have to lift the gallon jugs of spring water to fill the kettle.
I could probably get away with 6 gal in my 7 gal brew bucket, but typically 5 gal is my largest batch.
I do like pumping straight into the fermenter in the fridge and then just opening the door to bottle. That's my 3.5 mini brew bucket in the picture, and I use that one a lot cause it leaves enough room for a Mr. Beer fermenter as well.
I may not do too many of their partial mashes anymore, but the little kegs are great for 2.25 gal batches. Gives me a lot of variety, so I don't get tired of the same beer.
20181220_114715.jpg

If you open the garage door all the way, is there any problem with condensation? I'm in Charlotte where it doesn't get too cold - a little cold to be fully outside, but not as bad in the garage. I'm just not sure if opening the garage door 100% will be enough ventilation, or if something else is needed.

I expect you will have no problem with condensation with open garage door in Charlotte. Plus garages are designed to take on a little water - what if you drive your car in there when it is raining. The little bit of water carried in will dry up just fine.

Ok thanks guys but I dont want to hijack this thread :) Its Prosper brewing llc hopefully we will be opening within a few weeks.
Goowa, thats kind of funny, im leaving to finish a service call in Webster in about 30 mins.. Small world

This is hilarious. I’ll be in Webster the first week in March, but I’m flying into Buffalo because fares out of Rochester are insane late Friday/early Saturday. If you’re open by then, I’ll definitely stop by Friday night (staying in Buffalo that night for an early Saturday flight).

Back