winter hop damage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izumidai

Reaction score
I let my first year cascade die naturally this year. Since it was the first year, I did not bother harvesting. Surprisingly, there were actually a lot of cones this first year. Was it bad to not harvest and let the vines die with the cones still on them? Also, I cut the vines about 2 or 3 inches above the ground and have not done anything else since then. It has since snowed a few times. I read that they should be cut to the ground and then covered in mulch, but I never got around to doing it. Are my hops still going to come back next year or did I damage them? Is it to late to cut that last two inches and cover or should i just leave them be at this point.

Also, I planted 2 rhizomes last year. On took, the other did not. Has anyone ever experienced a rhizome that had no activity the first year taking hold in the second season?

They will be fine...I forget to fertilize pre-winter all the time.

You can cut them back now or in the spring.

The one rhizome is likely toast...don't worry...after growing my Cascade for 8 years I can't kill them and they are taking over the side yard, no matter how much I try to dig them up!!!

Back