winter chill requirement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is the third year growing hops for me. I started with plants from great lakes hops. I have them in containers as the soil around here is pretty heavy. The first year they grew pretty well, but the next two they were so so. My plants start showing buds on the crown fairly early in the spring but then do nothing unless about June.

I live in the san francisco bay area which has mild winters with very few hours down close to freezing. I am wondering if this may be causing the late start. Do hops have chill requirements like fruit trees?

I have cascade, chinook and columbus hops, the cascade plant does the best, but it starts late like the others. If there is a winter chill requirement does anyone know of plants that do better in mild climates?

From all I've ever seen is that they need to be kept at around 38-40F for about 6 weeks for everything to work properly.

As for varieties that need less of a vernalization (temperature or time-wise), check into some of the South African varieties as they don't get as cold as some of the traditional hop growing regions.

One other suggestion would be to actually dig a hole and plant them in the heavy soil you mentioned. Even though you say it's heavy, the fact that they'll be in an environment with more controlled temperature and moisture may far outweigh the struggles they have to contend with being confined to containers.

Thanks B-Hoppy for the suggestions, I was thinking New Zealand varieties but south africa might be a good thing try too.

I get probably only get only 100-200hrs of sub 38F time in my yard. As they are in big pots maybe I can try to put them in a cooler shady over winter to get the most of the cool period.

I do have some cutting from last year that are in pots I might try putting some of those in the ground to see how they behave next spring.

Nice article Kenny, I seen the article the folks that gorst valley criticed in their post so it was nice to a counter point. The great lakes hops post was what got me wondering if my plants are not getting long enough vernalization.

Vernalization hasn't been an issue here in San Diego. I don't think we ever see temps below 38F - and all of my second year plants grew normally with typical maturation rates and output.

That said, my plants don't really take off till about June either. It seems like our hop season just starts a little later (maybe due to shorter daylight hours than the northernmost states).

I've seen great results from my Neomexicanus hops, Multihead and Willow Creek. Both first year New Mexican plants are as big and produce as many cones as my second year plants.

I am for sure not in the ideal USDA chill zone, but after reading the gorst valley article, I am thinking my problem is probably not Vernalization related.

I thought about the daylight hours too, but the difference between where I live and say the willamette valley in oregon is less than an hour. Might be over an hour compared to San Diego.

There is a commercial grower in California and their website say they harvest a month earlier than Oregon and Washington because of California sun so I dont know who that works. Maybe it is just marketing propaganda.http://hopsmeister.com/home

The Neomexicanus hops look interesting, might have to think about trying those as they seem to be better adapted to milder climates. Are you growing your hops in pots or directly in the soil?

Latest posts

Back