Winter Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
So I've been brewing 5/6g AG batches using a Cajun Injector since spring. I don't plan to try to use it this winter and so I was thinking of how I would brew during the winter.

To this end I was thinking of using a 4g stock pot to do 3.5g batches. I believe I should be able to use a bag, mash in the pot with about half the volume then sparging with the other half of the water.

Just wondering what people think?

I tried setting up a new Equipment Profile in BeerSmith without much success. The numbers don't make much sense to me.

I do 2 1/2 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pot and have to watch it close so it doesn't boil over. A 4 gallon pot for a 3 1/2 gallon batch just doesn't compute.

You can't make 3.5 gallon batches in a 4 gallon pot unless you plan to top it off with water later. Since you're doing all-grain that really isn't practical.

BTW what's a cajun injector? And if it's what I found with a google search, what does it have to do with brewing?

Ive done stovetop brewing with small batches and it works fine. I've also brewed outside in single digit temps in Wisconsin January with no ill effects. why no outdoor winter brewing?

JonM said:
Ive done stovetop brewing with small batches and it works fine. I've also brewed outside in single digit temps in Wisconsin January with no ill effects. why no outdoor winter brewing?

Ah - i see you're in Ontario. Your winters have got mine beat.

Definitely do stovetop brew in a bag. I do 3 gallon brew in a bag in a 6.5 gallon kettle. But if I had a 4 gallon kettle, I'd probably do smaller. Maybe do 2.5 gallon batches, but dunk sparge in another pot, if you have one, then combine them to do a 3.5 gallon boil. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over. This way, you can brew more often, have more variety on hand.
I get tired of a beer about halfway through 5 gallons, so I've been moving to smaller batches and 3 seems to be about perfect. Sometimes, though rarely, there will be that elusive batch that is just the sh*t and you wished you had 20 gallons of it. Rare though, sadly.

I have that same problem, so I've taken to splitting batches into various styles. I'm going to submit a write-up on it if I get the time to write one.

Use your electric turkey fryer. It's only going to take up space while you brew and from all the other stuff that's on the floor on brew day, a small inconvenience for a permanent improvement: Beer!

...or some kind of extreme beer. Last year for 12/21/12, it was Mayan Apocalypse. This year, a paler tripel called Nederlands Apocalyps.

Latest posts

Back