Winter Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd49401

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to brew my winter ale this weekend and need some advice for my recipe. I bought the Winter Warmer kit from Northern Brewer but want to up the gravity on it for more warming alcohol notes. The original gravity is 1.069 with the kit:

.75 lbs. English medium crystal
.25 lbs. English chocolate malt
9.45 gold malt syrup
3 oz. Willamette
Danstar Windsor Ale yeast

I want to add 1.5-3 lbs. of honey and 1 lb. corn sugar. I also have an extra sachet of Safale S-05 yeast to help with fermentation. I will probably add cinnamon, lemon peel, ginger, nutmeg, and a little allspice at flameout to get a good holiday ale flavor profile.

Should I add all the honey AND the corn sugar or will that reduce the body too much? Any suggestions?

I think if you were to add 3 lbs of honey and 1 lbs of corn sugar that would be a LOT of simple sugars and you could have some fermentation/flavor issues. I'd probably pick just 1 simple sugar so maybe do 2 lbs honey and forget the corn sugar. I think that would bump your OG up to about 1.085 which could be nice. Definitely use 2 yeast packs.

Thanks--I chose 1.5 lbs. honey and 1 lbs. DME and used two packets of yeast. FG was 1.09 :)

Back