Wine too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
So I made a dandelion wine back around May. I have left it to bulk age and want to bottle it for Christmas gifts. The problem is I have already stopped fermentation and the wine is way too sweet. I've read I could blend it with a dry wine to balance it out. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Any wines that would be suitable for blending and balancing out my dandelion wine?

How sweet is too sweet? OG, and FG? Yeast, recipe, procedures?

As for the blending part, any dry white you prefer will work. Is it possible you need to make some acidity or tannin adjustments? I've got a an old apple wine that seems too sweet with an FG of 1.001, it just needs a touch more firmness and zing.

Goodluck

I messed up and forgot to take a 1st reading. But it's overwhelmingly sweet. Much sweeter than say a reisling (which I enjoy) my recipe called for just the sugar, dandelions, and orange peels. Any certain way to blend wines? I've already stop fermentation too.

As it is just a one gallon recipe, I would recommend taking a cup sample and a bottle of your favorite dry white wine and doing a small ratio test. Start with a mix of five oz of your wine to one oz of the dry white and taste. Mix another oz of the dry white in at a time (tasting as you go) till you get a nice balance.

Then scale up. For every ounce of the dry white you added to your test sample, add a 750ml bottle to the gallon of your dandelion wine. :)

Back