Wine thief & pail fermentors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a chance for infection. The sample isn't large enough for me to risk the whole batch. I typically drink it or toss it. Personally I never add it back.

I drink some sometimes and sometimes put it back in.If your doing your thief reading over your bucket you may as well put it back in unless you want to drink it. Dont know why it would be a risk with a sanitized hydro/thief.Its like saying your bucket could be infected after sanitizing your bucket before adding cooled wort.

Dont know why it would be a risk with a sanitized hydro/thief.Its like saying your bucket could be infected after sanitizing it and adding your cooled wort.

Well I think in theory, your bucket and chilled wort could get contaminated, but there is no way around this as it needs to ferment in something. Where as, there is a way to get around the risk of pouring the tested beer back into your fermenter, by just not doing it.

Plus there would seem to be more of a risk taking hydro samples towards the end of fermentation and pouring them back in, when yeast activity is slowed, or even stopped. It would give the other undesirable critters more opportunity to get a foothold in your fermenter.

There is always a risk when exposing your wort or beer to open air and objects. However large or small, why risk it for such a small amount of beer?

Well I think in theory, your bucket and chilled wort could get contaminated, but there is no way around this as it needs to ferment in something. Where as, there is a way to get around the risk of pouring the tested beer back into your fermenter, by just not doing it.

Plus there would seem to be more of a risk taking hydro samples towards the end of fermentation and pouring them back in, when yeast activity is slowed, or even stopped. It would give the other undesirable critters more opportunity to get a foothold in your fermenter.

There is always a risk when exposing your wort or beer to open air and objects. However large or small, why risk it for such a small amount of beer?

your still risking it by taking a reading either way.Whatever you dip it in.Your opening and exposing it no matter if it goes back in or not. Thats why i avoid messing with it util botteling day.Then check it and if i dont like the reading ill wait 3 more days and see if it went down-usually after 3 weeks:mug:
Also i would think it would be safer at the end thats when all the alcohol is in there.

Back