Wine that has been in secondary for 2 years?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nysideshow

Reaction score
I have 1 gallon of Peach and 1 gallon of Watermelon wine that have been in secondary for about 2 years. The air lock has always been topped off and never run dry. I transferred at least once into secondary, possibly twice, so there is no sediment to speak of in the bottom of the jugs. What are the odds that its still drinkable?

I've bottled the other 4 gallons long ago, just got busy and never got around to the other two gallons. Just curious if any one else has "aged" fruit wines in the jug this long without bottling is all.

I'd imagine that as long as there was minimal headspace, it's probably going to be very good. You've basically bulk aged your wine longer than most anybody has the patience for. Taste it and let us know how it turned out!

You say you already bottled the other 4 gallons. So I assume these were two 3 gallon carboys? If so you have a lot of headspace then. If they were in one gallon jars then I would say you have a gold mine of awesomeness but if still in the large carboys then these are most likely oxidized. I had one peach wine oxidize on me before on accident. That gave it an overripe almost rotten peach taste. However still, the wines will not kill you. Give them a taste and let us know.

I did six 1 gallon wines that year, I wasn't clear on the size of my fermentor. I seem to remember topping them all off, but the peach has more head space these days, I'm sure the air lock never went dry. I think I'll give them a try this weekend and get me into bottles.

image-2014051180.jpg

image-3289075613.jpg

image-303625224.jpg

forgive my ignorance, I'm pretty new at brewing beer and don't know anything about winemaking

my question is, couldn't you just pour a glass and try it?

i mean beer would take more time to carbonate, whether kegged or bottled, seems to me that after fermentation all that's left for wine is aging in bottles. but isn't that what you've done right there? age two years in a big bottle?

It was my first go at wine, I've been a homebrewer for years. I started this thread while at work last night, so I was just searching for input. I can't open them up until this weekend...12 1/2 hour shifts in the gasfield doesn't leave room for wine sampling during my rotation.

Back