Wine taste like soap??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony31

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Me and the wife made a blueberry wine that we have made a lot. Today we where going to degauss it and get it ready for bottling. Wife took a sample and said it had a soapy taste. Checked PH 3.4 and acid was .8. We know for a fact that no soap has been introduced. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Soapy taste usually is a result of high PH, is your PH meter calibrated?
What was the last thing that you added to your wine, maybe something to balance it?
I would add yeast hulls, click here, yeast hulls can absorb some of the factors that may be causing this.

I hope that this helps

The other thing that can cause a soapy taste is if the wine sat a long time on lees. The break down of fatty acids in the lees essentially creates soap- hence the soapy taste.

If this wine spent a long time on the lees, it could be the cause and it would not be fixable.

Malolactic fermentation can cause a soapy taste, but it goes after a couple of months. You may be getting wild MLF. Or it may be an infection like brettanomyces, but that is usually more like band aid or mousiness.

This happened to me after a few days into my first Pinot noir kit. The top of the must looked soapy and tasted slightly like dish soap.I was freaking out but it turned out ok. I think mine fermented at too high of temp. I reduced the temp down to around 65 during secondary and that seemed to help.

How did it turn out?

Back