Wine Fridge to Fermentor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a free wine Fridge from a neighbor with a bad circuit board (controller). I want to turn it into a fermentor and bypass that board that seams to control power to compressor and cooling fans based on temp, and push button settings as well as a light. I am able to determine the hot/neutral wires coming in. My concern with bypassing the controller and using my on/of temperature controller is the TRANSFORMER as seen on the board. Can I by-pass the board that contains the transformer or is providing benefit to compressor or fan?
668CB088-5FD5-48BB-9D9C-0F679EB3D8B7.jpeg
6E2E035F-2678-44B0-94B7-EE45FBE24260.jpeg
810722A8-A3A6-4E9B-B249-252716F2AE28.jpeg
452ADD0C-0801-4BF3-B435-B2E5F0CAAA7B.jpeg

Fortunately the "propeller fan" runs on the same AC branch as the compressor, so you can literally tear that entire circuit board assembly and all of its wiring out, then tied the black wire to the red wire, and plug the line cord into the Cool side of your Inkbird.

The only practical function you lose is the "automatic" defrost, but given the board was dead that was already happening.

btw, the "propeller fan" is either distributing cold air by blowing through the evaporator inside the unit, or it's cooling the condenser under the unit. Either way make sure it's working...

Cheers!

Fortunately the "propeller fan" runs on the same AC branch as the compressor, so you can literally tear that entire circuit board assembly and all of its wiring out, then tied the black wire to the red wire, and plug the line cord into the Cool side of your Inkbird.

The only practical function you lose is the "automatic" defrost, but given the board was dead that was already happening.

btw, the "propeller fan" is either distributing cold air by blowing through the evaporator inside the unit, or it's cooling the condenser under the unit. Either way make sure it's working...

Cheers!
Wow, I was worried the transformer fed the fan. Thanks

That would have been my initial guess as well given the size of that transformer :)
But the wiring diagram is clear. The transformer must've dropped the line voltage down to where a rectifier and dc regulator took over to generate DC power for the demised control logic that in turn would have kept an eye on both the oem thermostat and the thermotime defrost timer to control the AC compressor and fan from a common relay.

Should be an easy mod...

Cheers!

That would have been my initial guess as well given the size of that transformer :)
But the wiring diagram is clear. The transformer must've dropped the line voltage down to where a rectifier and dc regulator took over to generate DC power for the demised control logic that in turn would have kept an eye on both the oem thermostat and the thermotime defrost timer to control the AC compressor and fan from a common relay.

Should be an easy mod...

Cheers!
I see it now. It’s always good to get second set of eyes on it when working with electrical. Thanks

I have the same setup only using an stc 1000w I googled it and found theres a thread on some other website with pics showing what wires to cut and rewire as well. my board still worked though.

ACFE42AC-A2E5-4A52-9944-6930D0ABDD81.jpeg

Should be an easy mod...

Cheers!
Wired up the Live power feed (Black) to compressor (Red) and fan (black)
And neutral feed (white) to compressor (blue) and fan (white).
Nothing happened. No fan, no compressor
Ground wires still intact. Outlet is live. Now I am stumped??

Extraordinary that even the fan doesn't run. Do you have it plugged straight into a wall outlet?
Got an AC voltage capable meter? Measure across the fan leads...

Extraordinary that even the fan doesn't run. Do you have it plugged straight into a wall outlet?
Got an AC voltage capable meter? Measure across the fan leads...
Yes plugged straight into wall outlet (no controller, no power strip, etc). Yes I will try volt meter next.

Yes plugged straight into wall outlet (no controller, no power strip, etc). Yes I will try volt meter next.
I am up and running!!!!! Embarrassed to say I plugged in the wrong extension cord. Sweet, now to clean it all up and figure out how to route my thermocouple in. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back