Wine finings in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluidmechanics

Reaction score
I recently did a batch of skeeter pee and have a bunch of the finings left over. They made the skeeter pee really clear and I was wondering if there was any ill effect if you used them on beer as opposed to cold crashing. I used kmeta and sorbate. I'm also guessing that it would eliminate the possibility of carbonating in the bottle with priming sugar. Has any one tried this?

I recently did a batch of skeeter pee and have a bunch of the finings left over. They made the skeeter pee really clear and I was wondering if there was any ill effect if you used them on beer as opposed to cold crashing. I used kmeta and sorbate. I'm also guessing that it would eliminate the possibility of carbonating in the bottle with priming sugar. Has any one tried this?

Sorbate and kmeta aren't finings.

Kmeta is an antioxidant and preservative, while sorbate is a stabilizer that inhibits yeast reproduction. It works better in the presence of kmeta in inhibiting the yeast

Neither are clarifiers/finings. If your wine is clear, it's just because it's clear. :D

Yooper said:
Sorbate and kmeta aren't finings.

Kmeta is an antioxidant and preservative, while sorbate is a stabilizer that inhibits yeast reproduction. It works better in the presence of kmeta in inhibiting the yeast

Neither are clarifiers/finings. If your wine is clear, it's just because it's clear. :D

Sorry I forgot to write sparkolloid too. I thought that sparkolloid was the inhibitor and the kmeta and sorbate were finings. I just had them mixed up. So can you use sparkolloid to clarify beer?

Sorry I forgot to write sparkolloid too. I thought that sparkolloid was the inhibitor and the kmeta and sorbate were finings. I just had them mixed up. So can you use sparkolloid to clarify beer?

I imagine you could, although I've never thought to try it. It isn't the best clarifier out there, but I've used it in wine because it's vegetarian friendly.

I'm not sure it would fix every haze issue in beer, though. If it's a yeast haze, it might work, but if it's a protein haze or other issue I don't think sparkelloid will do anything. Because of the need to boil it and stir it in thoroughly, I'd be hesitant to add it to my finished beer.

Thank you for clarifying that earlier because I have found other threads about sparkolloid previously posted. It can be used in your secondary fermenter. But I couldn't find a clear answer if it affects bottling?

Thank you for clarifying that earlier because I have found other threads about sparkolloid previously posted. It can be used in your secondary fermenter. But I couldn't find a clear answer if it affects bottling?

I have no idea. I don't know how much yeast it would pull out. It's not all that effective, so it might work. But I really don't know.

I used SuperKleer KC (a 2 stage fining process that uses kieselsol and chitosan) on a RyePA once that just wasn't clearing, and it bottle carbed just fine...I think even the most aggressive finings won't completely drop yeast out of solution, and if you're still worried, you can always just "accidentally" hit the yeast bed with your siphon for a second and pick up a bit of yeast into your bottling bucket. It doesn't take much yeast to bottle carb your beer...

biochemedic said:
I used SuperKleer KC (a 2 stage fining process that uses kieselsol and chitosan) on a RyePA once that just wasn't clearing, and it bottle carbed just fine...I think even the most aggressive finings won't completely drop yeast out of solution, and if you're still worried, you can always just "accidentally" hit the yeast bed with your siphon for a second and pick up a bit of yeast into your bottling bucket. It doesn't take much yeast to bottle carb your beer...

Thanks.

Back