Wine clearing timeframe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I'm currently making 2 batches of white wine from a kit. I'm about 4 days into the clearing stage. The kit instructions say the clearing should take 2 weeks, then you bottle. At day 4 the wine is already clear.

I've made this kit about 8 times already and I know it wont get any clearer so should I move on to bottling and not wait the full 2 weeks? I cant imagine all the dead yeast and other stuff in the bottom of the carboy is adding to the flavor in a positive way.

Your thoughts?

I'm currently making 2 batches of white wine from a kit. I'm about 4 days into the clearing stage. The kit instructions say the clearing should take 2 weeks, then you bottle. At day 4 the wine is already clear.

I've made this kit about 8 times already and I know it wont get any clearer so should I move on to bottling and not wait the full 2 weeks? I cant imagine all the dead yeast and other stuff in the bottom of the carboy is adding to the flavor in a positive way.

Your thoughts?

I'd probably wait. It may appear clear, but any yeast or pectins still in suspension will just end up in the bottle if you bottle too early. There is no advantage to not waiting it out. It's only a couple of weeks.

Back