Wine and Mead in Southeastern PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrownedBee

Reaction score
Hello from the People's Republic of Pennsylvania!

My name is Melissa, and I'm new to brewing. My husband and I received a beginner's wine kit for our wedding, and we started our first batch of Dragon's Blood (a Skeeter Pee variant) in January 2016. We bottled it at the beginning of March and, though young and boozy, it's delightful. We've since expanded our inventory of equipment and kits; already, we're threatening to outgrow our basement brew room!

I'm a scientist by trade and have always looked for ways to take my work home with me. Brewing is a practical (and fun) union of microbiology and chemistry, which makes it a science-y, at-home hobby that won't get me arrested or put on a watch list. ;) Once we get baseline flavors for our brews, I want to experiment with yeast variants to see what kinds of flavors the different types will yield.

I'm not a huge fan of beer, but enjoy all types of wine. I'm most excited to begin my first batch of apfelwein. Mead will always have a place in our pipeline, and I hope to eventually branch out into sake.

I'm excited to be part of such a large and diverse forum, and I look forward to learning from all you knowledgeable folks!

Welcome! My wife's family is out that way, beautiful area. And good luck with the hobby! It's a lot of fun and you can make the things you always wanted but no one makes commercially.

Thanks, everyone! I'm really enjoying this hobby so far. I understand why people call it an obsession!

Be sure to join HBT's sister site
My husband is a member of that one. He says I can just hijack his account to post, but I might make my own anyway. Thanks for the rec!

Also, the brew store we like is in Lancaster county! Lancaster Homebrew. They're so friendly there (though, honestly, this doesn't seem like a hobby for unfriendly people.)

Thanks, everyone! I'm really enjoying this hobby so far. I understand why people call it an obsession!

My husband is a member of that one. He says I can just hijack his account to post, but I might make my own anyway. Thanks for the rec!

Also, the brew store we like is in Lancaster county! Lancaster Homebrew. They're so friendly there (though, honestly, this doesn't seem like a hobby for unfriendly people.)

I'm pretty certain I replied to his intro post over there a while back. And +1 to Lanc. Homebrew. Mark runs a good shop there.

Latest posts

Back