Windsor Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
This is my fist time using Windsor yeast. I'm fermenting a Brown ale at 65°. Is that a good temp for this yeast?

Temp range for Windsor is 64*F - 70*F so 65 is perfect.:mug:

It flocculated quite well for me as well (also a Brown ale) however, it didn't attenuate as well as I would have liked. I think it finished somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.030, and I would have liked closer to 1.020 or slightly higher.

The brown is good, nice warm toasty flavor to it, and it turned out to be much more of a session beer, but I would have liked it just a tad dryer.

I tried warming it up closer to 70 to see if it would finish, but it never dropped lower.

Your mileage may vary of course.

I recently did a mild ale. Used Windsor. Fermented at 66. OG was 1.036. Pitched at 1:30pm on Saturday and airlock calmed down by the time I checked it at 5pm on Monday. Fast active fermentation. Not sure exactly when it really got cranking or slowed down, but with it being a low gravity and fermenting at a good temp, I'm not concerned. Will leave it in the fermenter for close to 3 weeks. Have used this yeast before on the same recipe and really like that beer. Last time, however, the gravity was a little higher and I fermented a little cooler too. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Latest posts

Back