Windsor Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I am brewing a mostly English based grain mild ale and the recipe calls for Windsor. I have read quite a few forums expressing dislike for Windsor.

What is a decent replacement option for Windsor? I am open to dry or liquid.

Windsor works and makes fine ales, but it really depends what you are using it for.

It doesn't attenuate quite as highly as other strains which can leave you with a malty beer - but depending on your brew and your tastes that may be exactly what you want.

My biggest issue with it is that it doesn't flocculate as well as other strains, so it takes a long time to settle out even after fermentation is done. Clarifying agents like gelatin can fix this too.

Nottingham yeast is pretty popular as it has a higher attenuation and flocs better than Windsor. I'm getting a NB kit next week that comes with Windsor yeast but I will probably substitute a packet of Nottingham just for those reasons.

For a British mild?

I'd use this yeast strain:

Wyeast:
YEAST STRAIN: 1318 | London Ale III™

Originating from a traditional London brewery, this yeast has a wonderful malt and hop profile. It is a true top cropping strain with a fruity, very light and softly balanced palate. This strain will finish slightly sweet.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Thunder_Chicken said:
Windsor works and makes fine ales, but it really depends what you are using it for.

It doesn't attenuate quite as highly as other strains which can leave you with a malty beer - but depending on your brew and your tastes that may be exactly what you want.

My biggest issue with it is that it doesn't flocculate as well as other strains, so it takes a long time to settle out even after fermentation is done. Clarifying agents like gelatin can fix this too.

Nottingham yeast is pretty popular as it has a higher attenuation and flocs better than Windsor. I'm getting a NB kit next week that comes with Windsor yeast but I will probably substitute a packet of Nottingham just for those reasons.

Thanks for the thoughts. I typically use whirlfloc in the boil and gelatin towards the end of fermentation. Also thought of cold crashing but have never done it before. I just hate to go with a new yeast when I have so many bad things.

Yooper said:
For a British mild?

I'd use this yeast strain:

Wyeast:
YEAST STRAIN: 1318 | London Ale III™

How is the III different than 1028 or the 1968?

I'm not a big fan of Windsor either. It seems to take off fast, but not attenuate fully. Come to think of it, it didn't flocculate well either (I should have cold-crashed it longer). My Northern English Brown that I used it on tastes pretty good, but it never has cleared up well in the keg.

Latest posts

Back